Change font size   Print view

Mackie D8B Tape Ins Question!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mackie D8B Tape Ins Question!

Postby felix » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi, Im new to the Mackie D8B board. I was wondering if there is a way to use the tape in channels 25-48 as regular ins like channels 1-24? Maybe this is a stupid question but i was hoping there was a way to use it like an analog console and be able to use all channels 1-48 instead of just 1-24 as instrument inputs.
felix

Re: Mackie D8B Tape Ins Question!

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 pm

It all depends on what cards you have installed in the d8b. There is no problem with doing this you just need to make sure you have the right kind of interfaces for the task.

Are you only mixing down tracks and have no need for multi-tracking?

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 pm

With external preamps and AIO.8 cards, you will be in tall cotton.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby felix » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Well I really woulnt ever record more than 24 tracks in at one time. I was thinking more of the mixing concept. Kind of like how some people mix down their tracks from Pro Tools on an Analog board. Was wondering if i could make channels 25-48 take an input from something other than the HDR it is supposed to be used with.
felix

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 am

felix wrote:Well I really woulnt ever record more than 24 tracks in at one time. I was thinking more of the mixing concept. Kind of like how some people mix down their tracks from Pro Tools on an Analog board. Was wondering if i could make channels 25-48 take an input from something other than the HDR it is supposed to be used with.

Well, you have the PDI.8, DIO.8, OPT.8 and AIO.8 cards that can be used in these slots for whatever format you may need. There are lots of folks doing the d8b/protools trick as well cubase, logic and many other DAW type setups. You are not locked into an HDR with the d8b by any means. This combo is just really slick but you don't have to have an HDR.

I was under the impression that maybe you were trying to do something live and wanted to expand the preamp inputs, a road I have had to travel before.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby felix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 pm

If you wanted to expand the preamp inputs like you said you have done before how would you do that?
felix

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

felix wrote:If you wanted to expand the preamp inputs like you said you have done before how would you do that?

I used three of the eight channel Presonus M80 preamps to get me a total of 36 mic preamps when you include the 12 on the d8b. I used the line outs of the 3 presonus units to hit channels 25-48 via AIO.8 cards in the tape I/O slots using db-25 to 1/4" breakout cables. This was for a live rig so giving up the tape inputs was not of concern, since I had no tape returns to worry with.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:35 am

Crash & Felix;

I have used the Analog Cards (AIO-8) as inputs 25 to 48 many times. I set up another board that has 24 inputs and 24 direct outputs and inteface them with the AIO-8 Crads using Tip-Ring-Sleeve Male to DB25 Male cable. These are avaible from many sources (E-Bay to name one). I am fortunes that the Direct Outputs on my other board is TRS. In this way the other board becomes a preamp as Crash suggested.

I have also added an addition 8 Inputs through the ALT Tape I/O with an additional AIO-8 card installed in that slot.

Very verisitle cansole the D8B is. I have no idea why Mackie hasn't continued on with it or anything like it.

Enjoy!

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum