Change font size   Print view

D8B Self shutdown and reboot?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B Self shutdown and reboot?

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Again everyone!
This is a real drag for me at this time, but again I really hope you guys can come to the rescue.
I upgraded my second D8B from V3 to V5.1 today and did a straight install from the floppys without formatting the HD. Prior to the upgrade there were no issues running V3, the console ran smoothly throughout no glitches. I also updated to service pack 3 and authorized all the plugins. On reboot all seemed fine as I passed audio through it however, after a while the console decided to shutdown on its own and reboot back up again without me physically interacting. (I knew I was also a magician as well as a musician..lol!) But SERIOUSLY this is a problem because it has done it three time in the last 7 hours.
Do I have telepathic powers or is there a ghost in my studio? Any ideas for the wise and intellectual helpers out there.. :-)
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: D8B Self shutdown and reboot?

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Have you authorized the V5.1 software? This is not a free upgrade. $174.00 USD via the mackie website.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I'd think he must have authorized OS 5, Casey, since he's only had 3 re-boots in 7 hours. The demo only runs for 7 minutes. Could be a cable problem, heat related or some such.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Casey, thanks for your speedy reply- yes..I authorized V5.1 along with the complete plugins package. On first boot with the 5.1 install I entered the code supplied to me based on the D8B ESN and rebooted for it ito take effect.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Peter, thanks for the thought... Cables are intact. Heat...possibly although with V3 it ran all day with no issues. It's been doing this since the upgrade. I'm thinking maybe I should do a fresh install but this time format the HD. I'm a litle puzzled to be honest.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I think you're on the right track with a clean install. She's a funny old dear. Make sure you save the stuff you need prior to doing that.

Just as a matter of interest, do you own an OSCar synth or is Oscar your name?

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Peter, no..Oscar was a nickname I was given when I first started out as a Tape op years ago. It was derived from my surname, as it sounded like Oscar but note quite. So I use it when identifying with music or production in general. kind of sentimental if you like. :-).
I'll give the HD a good going over first thing tomorrow and do a clean install. Redo a check on the cables again and see how it goes. I'll post again in any case to update. Thanks again Peter.

Andy
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update on this irregular D8B shutdown issue I've been having. I formatted the HD and did a clean install from scratch.
Again I authorized the OS V5.1 without installing SP3. I ran the D8B for almost three hours with absolutely no glitches or the self shutdown syndrome. So then I decided to install the service pack 3 plugins, after which I rebooted and then authorized them . I then had to reboot again for the Authorisation to take effect. On reboot the Mono Delay and the Drawmer ADX mono did not authorize, so I rendered the codes for them. A minute after the D8B decided to reboot it self. Once it powered up I pulled up a session from the menu and have been running it since. That was twenty three minutes ago. I'm using the board as we speak to see if it's a particular button or fader or even a combination that would induce a self-reboot. THIS BRAIN DAMAGE GUYS!!!
I'll repost if it happens again, maybe someone will come up with a viable reason/explanation for it.. :-(

Thanks for listening..
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Well I didn't have to wait long it just shut down and rebooted whilst I was muting a stereo pair. So now I officially call out for any help on this issue as I'm totally lost with it.
I'm thinking maybe the sp3 floppys are corrupt somehow and after install it messes up everything?
I'm going to another fresh install and hope for the best.

Andy
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:13 pm

My money is on wonky RAM causing your random boot issues.....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum