Change font size   Print view

Bank select just stopped working.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Bank select just stopped working.

Postby studiodaz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 am

https://sites.google.com/site/photosand ... f/home/d8b - some pics of the boards inside the D8B.
..............................................D8B is good for me.................( when its working :-) ).....................
studiodaz

Postby FrankH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Tonight I stripped down the desk and took out 3 boards and cleaned the ribbon connectors and sockets, fixed my talk back button but after getting it all back together again its still doing it,
I may be mistaken here...but looking at the photos, it doesn't appear to be evident that the ribbon connectors leading into the Control board were completely removed/cleaned on the other end. Did you do that? All of them?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby studiodaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 am

FrankH wrote:
Tonight I stripped down the desk and took out 3 boards and cleaned the ribbon connectors and sockets, fixed my talk back button but after getting it all back together again its still doing it,
I may be mistaken here...but looking at the photos, it doesn't appear to be evident that the ribbon connectors leading into the Control board were completely removed/cleaned on the other end. Did you do that? All of them?

No not last night, but I have just finished doing that tonight. I have now removed and cleaned all cables and boards apart from the ones at the Analog i/o board end as that was the only board I couldn't easily remove but I did manage to push on the cables tightly to make sure they were not coming out. Got it all back together again and turning the desk on the problem is still there. At least I can now rule out any cable problem.

Here some pics of tonight adventure https://sites.google.com/site/photosand ... d8b-page02
..............................................D8B is good for me.................( when its working :-) ).....................
studiodaz

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Looking at those pictures, I have to wonder what the deal is with the black duct tape.... when did that come into the picture and did you notice a correlation of said tape introduction and odd behavior?

I use a foot switch for tb these days though my on board is still quite fuctional.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

synthjoe wrote:It sounds like the line control board missing a clock signal.

Joe, if I pull the clock card totally out of the unit in front of me, I can still fire it up and flip banks....unless you mean something different by this statement. I assume you mean that "a clock signal" would have to derive from the clock card.

Studiodaz, have you tried taking the ribbon cable from the mic/line board and swapping it with line control board to rule out a wonky ribbon cable? It makes me wonder if the brain board is suspect?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby studiodaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Crash wrote:Looking at those pictures, I have to wonder what the deal is with the black duct tape.... when did that come into the picture and did you notice a correlation of said tape introduction and odd behavior?

I use a foot switch for tb these days though my on board is still quite fuctional.

I added that black tape two nights ago to hold the talkback button in place, it may look ugly on the inside but the button is now in place and works now. :-)
studiodaz

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm

studiodaz wrote:
Crash wrote:Looking at those pictures, I have to wonder what the deal is with the black duct tape.... when did that come into the picture and did you notice a correlation of said tape introduction and odd behavior?

I added that black tape two nights ago to hold the talkback button in place, it may look ugly on the inside but the button is now in place and works now. :-)

Well, if you get tired of the tape scenario, I have an extra black cover that will work in that hole. I assume the hinges broke on the original grey one. That is the typical fail on these buttons.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby studiodaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Crash wrote:
synthjoe wrote:It sounds like the line control board missing a clock signal.

Joe, if I pull the clock card totally out of the unit in front of me, I can still fire it up and flip banks....unless you mean something different by this statement. I assume you mean that "a clock signal" would have to derive from the clock card.

Studiodaz, have you tried taking the ribbon cable from the mic/line board and swapping it with line control board to rule out a wonky ribbon cable? It makes me wonder if the brain board is suspect?

I will have a go at that over the weekend.
studiodaz

Postby studiodaz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you everyone for all your help but I think I am going to leave this board as it is for now :cry: . I can't justify sending it off and have someone spend too much time fault finding and then ending up with a large bill for the guy of waiting for the next fault to happen. It still works for what I need it to do. I guess I can get used to pressing mute to get to the tape in bank or I can used the mouse/keyboard.

I mostly mix in cubase and now that version 7 is out a controller seems like the logical next step. I don't used the control room monitor section on the desk any more instead I have been using spdif output into a 2nd PC for real-time mixdowns, and then out again into a KRK ERGO for monitoring the end of the chain.
I do use the headphone mix, talkback section and also the line in bank for any analog gear, but for tracking I use a Mic/line preamp x8 over adat direct into the PC and the use the D8B for any extra record tracks 9-24 adat out into the PC.
studiodaz

Postby Petersueco » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Sounds like your console is the prefect candidate to D8Bridge.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum