Change font size   Print view

New user looking for parts

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

New user looking for parts

Postby motophiliac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Had a d8b for maybe a year now and loving it.

However, having bought it from a school there is some non-fatal damage which I'd like to clear up.

I'm needing a fader cap and also four line inputs (2 balanced, 2 non balanced).

I've been looking at the service manuals (which is a great resource I've not seen before) and the work doesn't look too difficult but obviously I need to get the parts from somewhere.

Any help would be marvellous!
motophiliac

Re: New user looking for parts

Postby Crash » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:23 pm

motophiliac wrote:....also four line inputs (2 balanced, 2 non balanced).

I am not following what this one means.

I will dig around my pile and see if I have an extra fader cap.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby motophiliac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 am

Wow, a reply! I like this forum! Thanks for reading my post.

I'll clarify that the inputs are just the line input connectors on the rear panel. There are 12 balanced and 12 unbalanced (I think) and four of these are broken. It's not a biggie as there are of course another 20 inputs I can use but for the sake of completeness it would be great to have them all working properly.

I've just checked a photo and 2, 4, 13 and 15 are all broken.

I'll check the service manual(s) to find out whether these are easy to replace and if they are, I'll be looking for someone to supply bits for me unless—unlikely, I know—they're a generic part or design.

Thanks again!
motophiliac

Postby Crash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

motophiliac wrote:Wow, a reply! I like this forum! Thanks for reading my post.

I'll clarify that the inputs are just the line input connectors on the rear panel. There are 12 balanced and 12 unbalanced (I think) and four of these are broken. It's not a biggie as there are of course another 20 inputs I can use but for the sake of completeness it would be great to have them all working properly.

I've just checked a photo and 2, 4, 13 and 15 are all broken.

I'll check the service manual(s) to find out whether these are easy to replace and if they are, I'll be looking for someone to supply bits for me unless—unlikely, I know—they're a generic part or design.

Thanks again!

All the inputs are balanced on the d8b, 1-12 are mic/line and 13-24 are line only.... if that is what you are alluding too.

If you mean the 1/4 inch jacks for line inputs 2, 4, 13 and 15 are bad, getting to that back panel is not for the faint of heart. There is some serious tearing in to the console to get that deep, not impossible but not very fun. Here a few pics from the database so you can see what you would be up against:

Can you clarify what you mean by not working? No audio, dirty audio? You might want to consider sending it off to get fixed up. S&X audio up in Washington state still works on these and has fixed up many a d8b.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 pm

On channels 2 & 4, it may be worth jiggling a jack plug in and out a few times in the insert point after spraying some Caig DeoxiT in the sockets. It's possible the "normal" contacts are not making contact. You could try the same with the DeoxiT in the 13 & 15 input jacks although they're a different configuration. Just a thought. I'm not sure if "broken" means physically or you're just not getting signal.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby motophiliac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 am

Can you clarify what you mean by not working? No audio, dirty audio?

No audio at all. It was bought from a school and I suspect, although the rest of the unit is in pretty good condition, these inputs may have taken a battering.

As I said, although it would be nice to have them all working, it's doubtful I'll ever need all 24 inputs at once!

As long as the board is reasonably modular inside, which from the photos seems to be the case, I'd consider having a go as long as I could get the replacement bits.

I'm UK so getting it across there would be difficult and/or expensive!
motophiliac

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Those jacks are not anything unique as I recall, just mounted straight on the pcb along with the xlr jacks. The database listed on this site has a build of materials that should help you decipher what you need.

Do the bad jacks feel different than the rest when you put a cable in them? It would be nice to rule that out or in as the problem before you are knee deep in washers, nuts and screws...and you will be when you remove the pcb that contains all of those jacks.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=952

The open frame 1/4 inch is what I remember from the last time I was face to face with PCB in question where these jacks live.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby motophiliac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 am

Do the bad jacks feel different than the rest when you put a cable in them?

Yup. Having been used at a school I'm fairly sure that some of the students have had at the inputs with something other than 1/4" jacks :(

Some of them, the jack won't even go all the way in, and for at least one of them the jack goes in but is worryingly difficult to remove.

Put simply, the four connectors in question are all physically damaged in one way or another.

Looking at the parts you linked to, this looks a bit more straightforward than I'd thought. I'm not looking forward to de-installing the console of course, but this is now definitely worth a look.

You've been more than helpful, dude. Love this forum!
motophiliac

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 pm

motophiliac wrote:You've been more than helpful, dude. Love this forum!

Glad I could point you in the right direction. Since you are across the pond, it would probably be cheaper for you to source a fader cap over there. You are looking for a "T lever" type cap and it should be something that you can find in your area. Here is an ebay link (Germany) that shows one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prof-FADER-KNOB ... 0625481229

Good luck and may your problems get resolved.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum