Change font size   Print view

Must be missing something..please help

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Must be missing something..please help

Postby Element11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 am

Hello Guys,

I am a new d8b user. Recently purchased one from a guy who used it for a long time until couple of years ago. Lets get to the problem.

First this is my set-up (at least what I have so far): d8b with Apogee w/c going in/out to motu 2408 mk1. I have 3 OPT-8 ADAT cards installed and no mfx or ufx cards installed yet. From the motu 2408 to a win7 computer running Protools 10.

I want to use the board to record on all 24 channels if possible. I want to be able to mix as well in the future. (when I get the fx cards). But I will be mixing in the box and coming back out to the board as play back (if possible).

Problem: When I plug a mic on ch1 i see mic signal but when I plug mic on ch2 i dont see signal and so on with no signal. I did notice the meters where stuck on and when I change banks other lights are lid on the meter bridge. I looked on this forum about the issue with the meter bridge and followed all the instructions on (Ribbon Cable Connection Correction Procedure) then looked on ( Loss Of Audio/Frozen Meters) and then ( Another Reason For Loss Of Audio) on the http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post20 site. It is still doing the same thing. I must be missing something.. please help.

Also, I forgot to mention I have Motu Midi timepiece MTP AV. if that matters. I want to know where do i plug the midi break out cable from the d8b cpu to? Would I be able to plug that into the timepiece or something if so what would be the connections?

Thanks for your time I hope I explained correctly. If I am missing something I will answer as clear as possible.
:) ;)
Element11

Re: Must be missing something..please help

Postby Old School » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 am

Just a thought, but on the set up menu of the D8B, do you have it set to "internal" or "external" word clock?
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Element11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 am

I believe is on "external" and "Locked". Where it says Apogee Word Clock right?
Element11

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Try booting up the d8b with nothing plugged into it and see if you still have problems. Then we can see if it's the board or another piece of gear causing the problems.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Element11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

ok Casey I will try that.
Element11

Postby Element11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:44 pm

OK, I unplugged everything. When it booted all meters lit up..and then they all went down. I checked the setting on the Digital I/O and the Apogee WC is set on Internal.
Element11

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Ok, now hook up a pair of speakers and make sure it passes signal through 1-24. Use a mic or an ipod or something. If everything is working as it should and you can change banks without it doing anything crazy next step is to connect the Word clock out of the d8b to the WC in of the MOTU. Make sure the Motu is set to Word clock and not internal. Also when you boot it all up boot the d8b first and wait until it's finished to power on the motu and the computer.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Element11 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Casey_Pittman wrote:Ok, now hook up a pair of speakers and make sure it passes signal through 1-24. Use a mic or an ipod or something. If everything is working as it should and you can change banks without it doing anything crazy next step is to connect the Word clock out of the d8b to the WC in of the MOTU. Make sure the Motu is set to Word clock and not internal. Also when you boot it all up boot the d8b first and wait until it's finished to power on the motu and the computer.

-Casey

Oooookkk :D :D I got signal on every channel through the speakers.

:( But channel 3 I have no signal

Note: Checked xlr and trs inputs

But I guess I can get to that after.
Element11

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 am

Element11 wrote:Oooookkk :D :D I got signal on every channel through the speakers.

:( But channel 3 I have no signal

Note: Checked xlr and trs inputs

But I guess I can get to that after.

Ok, now to connect the word clock cable. Use the d8b as the master so you will need to go word clock out of the d8b to the word clock in of the motu. make sure the d8b is set to INTERNAL. Boot the d8b first and wait utill it's done booting to power up the motu and the computer. Double check that the motu is set to word clock and NOT internal once the computer is up and running.

Then go through the process of checking the channels again to make sure everything is still working. don't connect the adat yet, we'll do that after this has check out.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Element11 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 am

Then go through the process of checking the channels again to make sure everything is still working. don't connect the adat yet, we'll do that after this has check out.

Ok. I checked all the channels both xlrs and trs. So far I get audio through all the channels except ch3.
Element11

Next

Return to d8b Forum