Change font size   Print view

The d8b story

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

The d8b story

Postby letthisnightexplode » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:43 am

I'm here because I'm interested in buying a D8B but I get the impression it's not quite what it seems. It's a DAW controller out of the box, no? I've seen that it's been "hacked" to play nice - but what limitations does it have outside of the box? Is this why a something that was retailing for several thousand dollars can now be found on eBay for just a couple?
letthisnightexplode

Re: The d8b story

Postby FrankH » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:11 am

Go here:

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/userg ... Bv5_OM.pdf

Download the manual and you should get a good idea of what the console is capable and incapable of doing.

To answer your first question...no, the D8B is not primarily a DAW controller out of the box. It is capable of controlling DAWs via MIDI, complimented with the 8 channel limited V5 HUI controller layer. But it not a "Mackie Controller" type of thing. It requires setup on both the D8B and DAW ends to get reasonable communication happening.

Limitations? Depends on what your needs are. Technically, the 48kHz S/R of the unit could be a limitation if you require to work at 88.2kHz or higher. 12 Mic pre's could be a limitation if you need to handle more than 12 mics at a time and the D8B is all you have to work with. No pre-master fader inserts could be an issue. Hard to say not knowing what kind of work you need to do and what kind of gear you already have.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum