Change font size   Print view

Board Crashed

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Board Crashed

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 am

I'd be hesitant to swap the brain boards. If the problem lies elsewhere, it could zap the replacement.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby arock2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 pm

mackiewayne wrote:I left the board on and in the middle of the night it all of a sudden let out tremendous bangs and pops... By the time I gout downstairs it was screaming.... I shut the power amp off then I got to the mackie and shut it off....now no faders move and there's some strange audio noise.....the monitor seems normal.? I took off the back cover for the board and when it boots there's green LEDs slowly flashing on the brain board also a pulsing red led? Answers?

Hey buddy I'm having a similar issue my faders actually slam down to inf- ... Did some troubling shooting and find out if the brain board is running correctly only the RED LED should on and blinking but I took at look at mine and the RED LED is on and the GREEN LED is flashing too. I also disconnected my fader boards and rebooted and the brain board is still flash red and green. So I am quite sure my brain board has sh-t the bed.
arock2000

Postby Crash » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:50 pm

arock2000 wrote:
mackiewayne wrote:I left the board on and in the middle of the night it all of a sudden let out tremendous bangs and pops... By the time I gout downstairs it was screaming.... I shut the power amp off then I got to the mackie and shut it off....now no faders move and there's some strange audio noise.....the monitor seems normal.? I took off the back cover for the board and when it boots there's green LEDs slowly flashing on the brain board also a pulsing red led? Answers?

Hey buddy I'm having a similar issue my faders actually slam down to inf- ... Did some troubling shooting and find out if the brain board is running correctly only the RED LED should on and blinking but I took at look at mine and the RED LED is on and the GREEN LED is flashing too. I also disconnected my fader boards and rebooted and the brain board is still flash red and green. So I am quite sure my brain board has sh-t the bed.

Trying to figure out how you guys even know what those LEDs mean. My foggy memory seems to recall these being transmit and receive indicators for info going between the console and the CPU. I think they were there for testing purposes when the board was tested prior to install in the console. Both flashing is quite normal as I recall though it has been many years since I had a unit flipped over in a test jig.

Having said all that, your brain board could be toast.... or not.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arock2000 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 am

From what I read in the manual on my board the LEDS are suppose to blink in a certain sequence and their not.. I get sound and everything is fine just the faders are malfunctioning so I know the brain broad is most likely toast....
arock2000

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:09 pm

arock2000 wrote:From what I read in the manual on my board the LEDS are suppose to blink in a certain sequence and their not.. I get sound and everything is fine just the faders are malfunctioning so I know the brain broad is most likely toast....

See what all of those years have done to my brain? I have to wonder if they might not be dual function since I swear that I remember these flashing when values were changed on the board or GUI to show info. flow between the CPU and the console.

So from what I see in the service manual is that the EPROM has been read but the software not downloaded. All three LEDS should be lit for a detected fault so says the mighty manual. I am still not sure that it possible to determine where the fault lies via these three LEDs. I guess if you are comfortable throwing money at a brain board to try with the possibility it might still not work then i would go for it. Another possibility might be to get a hold of the S and X guys that still fix these and see if they might not be of some help. maybe they could test just your brain board to verify the issue is really there.

If you find a fix, post it. My curiosity is piqued.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum