Change font size   Print view

Board Crashed

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Board Crashed

Postby mackiewayne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 am

I left the board on and in the middle of the night it all of a sudden let out tremendous bangs and pops... By the time I gout downstairs it was screaming.... I shut the power amp off then I got to the mackie and shut it off....now no faders move and there's some strange audio noise.....the monitor seems normal.? I took off the back cover for the board and when it boots there's green LEDs slowly flashing on the brain board also a pulsing red led? Answers?
mackiewayne

Re: Board Crashed

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 am

Rail capacitor(s) for sure. Check the database.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby mackiewayne » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 am

Well I swapped out the brain board and same thing...flashing red and solid green LEDs on both brain boards?
mackiewayne

Postby Crash » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Those LEDs are transmit and receive indicators used during the testing process before the brainboard went into the console I believe. The brain board will not cause the issues you are experiencing in my experience. Anyhorizon has shown you the way, check the database.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Red Carpet » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 am

think i have the same problem all faders are dead could you poit out in a photo where these rail capacitor is?
Red Carpet

Postby Crash » Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 pm

As mentioned, these things are all over the inside of this console. This does not qualify as a DIY project unless you have mad skills with an iron.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Red Carpet » Wed May 29, 2013 2:52 pm

thanks for the pic this really helps alot
i have mad skills with the solder iron so no worries about that
my only qeustion is are there better part for this?
Red Carpet

Postby Crash » Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm

What generally happened was that these rail caps were the wrong value for an earlier portion of the d8b manufacturing run. It would cause them to fail over time. It is not really about getting a better part but the right part. I am not sure the values listed in the picture are for what was there or what needs to be there. I am sure you can wade through the schematics on the database and suss out what you need.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post10
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Red Carpet » Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 pm

today i got my parts one of the capacitors clearly looked burned i got al the capacitors of and soldered the new ones in
well i turned on the console hooked up my d8bridge cable and fired up my pc
well my hopes where high and the stop play and so on buttons worked again that i was happy about that
altough my faders still do not give a signal treu over midi luckely my other console still works
still would like to get it fixed any othe suggestions what it could be?
thanks in advance
Red Carpet

Postby Red Carpet » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:35 pm

i was wondering about the control chips for the faders could this be a problem i can aswel swap my brainbord from my other d8b to take a look it that is the problem or that its of a differnt nature
when i bought this console it worked for like 2 months then it died on me the faders went down and there was no sound
no the first problem should be sorted out since i soldered the ne capacitors in 0ne of them was burned it burned of a little of the copper from the brainbord but i was able to fix that
what could have happend when those capacitors blow out only one was really distroys from the loos it was the middel one on the left in the picture above
Red Carpet

Next

Return to d8b Forum