Change font size   Print view

D8B - PC connect question

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B - PC connect question

Postby Rutah » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 am

I currently have my D8B hooked up as follows.

D8b - lightpipe to M-Audio Lightbridge - firewired to PC. I record into D8b inputs and mix in Cubase then mixdown to CD.

I would like to record into D8B into cubase then apply effects from D8b such as vocal studio etc? Any suggestions on a set up or do I need to buy a HDR? I like to apply the effect post recording.

Thanks for your help!

Pat
Windows 64 Service Pack 2, AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core 2.20gh, 6.0gb Ram, Mackie D8B V.5.1, M-Audio Profire Lightbridge 64 bit driver, Cubase 6, BCF2000, M-Audio Axiom 25,
Rutah
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: D8B - PC connect question

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:24 am

Can you send audio back out thru the lightbridge? If so then you should be able to route the signal back into a channel add FX and re-record it to your DAW.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rutah » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 am

It has L and R 1/4 inch outputs for monitors. Should I run out of there back into my board into the DAW?
Windows 64 Service Pack 2, AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core 2.20gh, 6.0gb Ram, Mackie D8B V.5.1, M-Audio Profire Lightbridge 64 bit driver, Cubase 6, BCF2000, M-Audio Axiom 25,
Rutah
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Rutah wrote:It has L and R 1/4 inch outputs for monitors. Should I run out of there back into my board into the DAW?

Where that might not be the best solution as far as maintaining the integrity of the audio, if you do not have any other way to get audio out of your computer it might be the only option if your set on using d8b FX after the fact. You could do it that way, and make what you record back to your DAW FX only with little to no dry signal, then blend the original and the FX track in your DAW.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rutah » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:14 pm

I might be able to get a decent sound card out!?! I just would like to use the vocal studio and the mastering suite in the D*B for post production but iI need to get my D8B at the tail end of my set up as well as my input. Not sure if it would just be easyer to purchase a MDR or something or if there is a more "creative" approach.

Thanks!

Pat
Rutah
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:51 am

Looking at the rear of the unit it has lightpipe in and out. Can you not send the tracks you want back through the lightpipe out? I would think you just need to set up your DAW to send what ever channel you want back to the d8b. Doing so also enables you to send your tracks back to the d8b for mixdown. That way you have some sort of control surface to mix on instead of doing it all with the mouse. Pretty much the same as having an HDR to accomplish the same result.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rutah » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:55 am

As it sits I go D8B lightpiped in and out of the lightbridge then firewired to the PC. so I record into D8B into the PC DAW then send back to the d8b then monitor out. but my DAW/CD burner is in the middle. I want to record clean from my D8B into the Daw THEN use the D8B effects. Are you suggesting that I record into D8B lightpiped to PC then loop that track back thru my d8b and back into the Daw for final mix then burn?

Pat
Rutah
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Depending of what Cubase version you have, you may be able to create an External FX in Cubase for the d8b-plugin send/return trip and even compensate for the latency this will build up.

Cheers.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rutah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 am

Could you give me a little more info on how to set that up? Thanks!

Pat
Rutah
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Rutah wrote:As it sits I go D8B lightpiped in and out of the lightbridge then firewired to the PC. so I record into D8B into the PC DAW then send back to the d8b then monitor out. but my DAW/CD burner is in the middle. I want to record clean from my D8B into the Daw THEN use the D8B effects. Are you suggesting that I record into D8B lightpiped to PC then loop that track back thru my d8b and back into the Daw for final mix then burn?

Pat

To me either using this method or the method of Peter will result in the same product. For my suggestion you will just need to take into consideration the latency and adjust for it by re-aligning the effected track. I think I read somewhere that you can send an insert with Cubase4/5 but you can also "PING" the output when you have everything routed and it will compensate the latency for you. I would scour the help function in Cubase for that info.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum