Change font size   Print view

System error 43, here we go again!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

System error 43, here we go again!

Postby StudioQ » Wed May 08, 2013 5:06 am

D8b running 3.0 will not boot up! Many tries.
It hangs on the first page 'CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded' I don't know if that is normal or not.
On the console it reads 'System error 43, Host did not boot, check computer rack'
I have reseated all cables and cards on the back of the console (many times) and reseated everything I could in the CPU and checked the battery which is fine. It was replaced a while back when I had similar problems.
Sometimes after a while it will go all the way to the mixer screen and download MFX but still no sound at main outs (but cd player works through it) while giving an error message (which I can't remember now).
I tried to reload the software from the floppies but it did not read them.
All help appreciated, thanks.
StudioQ

Re: System error 43, here we go again!

Postby Crash » Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm

This sounds like your bios settings are wrong. That is one of the reasons the floppies will not read. I would go into the bios and reverify that they are correct for the processor, 166 or 300, that you are running. Get there by firing up the console and holding down the delete key while it boots, that should take you to the bios setup.

That is where I would start if I were in your shoes.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Crash,
You hit the nail on the head! Up and running! Just so grateful for this wonderful resource!
I guess I disturbed the settings with all the unplugging and reseating, does that make sense?

Thank you for your help.
StudioQ

Postby Crash » Thu May 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Good to hear. Now record or mix something good!!
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks,
It is working....But!!!
I am still getting 'System error 43-Host did not boot' and it will not read the floppy 1.44 drive or back up to it.
The drive light is green all the time and it would not read the installation discs.
Also the 'Keyboard/Mouse Power On : Disabled' option does not show up in the 'Integrated Peripherals Setup' in the BIOS.
Everything else seems to be OK so far.
StudioQ

Postby Crash » Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 am

Are you sure the battery is good? If it is low on voltage, your bios will not hold and you will be chasing your tail. I think the 2032 should read at least 3 volts on the multi meter if not a tick over when new. If you have the means to measure the voltage, it might point you in the right direction.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bbb » Sat May 11, 2013 1:31 pm

This just reminded me of a solution I found over 10 years ago. I had replaced the battery a few times, yet the bios continued to lose its settings.
I found that the battery's contact with the holder on the board was a bit loose. I carefully reshaped the holder to maintain a firm contact with the battery. I would check the solder joints as well.
Hope this help.
Good luck.
Bruce Brody
bbb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Sat May 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Crash and Bruce,

Thank you both for very helpful replies. I have replace the battery again and it started up with no error messages, but it still does not read or write to Drive A. Reset the BIOS after the battery swap and I still do not get 'Keyboard/Mouse Power On : Disabled' option in the 'Integrated Peripherals Setup'.
I will try to check the battery seat for any possible issues.

Peter
StudioQ

Postby Crash » Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Is your CPU a 166mhz or 300mhz? The bios is different for each and the "'Keyboard/Mouse Power On : Disabled' option in the 'Integrated Peripherals Setup'." doesn't exist for the 166mhz setup from what I can see.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

It's 300
StudioQ

Next

Return to d8b Forum