Change font size   Print view

System error 43, here we go again!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: System error 43, here we go again!

Postby StudioQ » Mon May 13, 2013 9:31 pm

The battery seating seems to be in good shape and making good contact. Still getting the 'error 43'
I noticed a steady repeating 3 chirp sound coming from either the hard drive or the floppy drive and the floppy drive green light is always on.
StudioQ

Postby StudioQ » Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Ok, the chirping is from the hard drive. Faint click then chirp chirp chirp over and over like it is trying to read the drive.
It is a Western Digital WD300 Enhanced IDE drive 30GB. Could it be shot?
Thanks again for your help.

Peter
StudioQ

Postby Petersueco » Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 pm

¿What do you see in the monitor? Do the OS even start to load?
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StudioQ » Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 pm

It does start to load. It was going as far as showing the mixer and downloading MFX, now it is only going two or three pages to the the screen with half a page of the blue/green text.

Thanks,
Peter
StudioQ

Postby Maloik » Tue May 14, 2013 8:18 am

Hi Peter

I had exactly the same trouble....the click and then the three chirps. In my case the HDD was shot. Suddenly the board crashed and didn't boot again. Then I took the HDD out and tested it in a PC...there it worked. Only the file which was open while it crashed was shot. Then it worked for several time without any problems. But suddenly the board didn't boot anymore. After replacing the harddrive everything worked fine.

But the green light of the floppy is kinda strange to me...Have you unplugged the floppy drive and reconnected it the right way?

Regards
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Tue May 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Tom,
The green light is ok now. I noticed one of the pins was displaced and lined it up correctly. This must have happened one of the times I tried disconnecting and reconnecting. It still won't read or write to a floppy.
Upon start up it will only go as far as the third screen with half a page of blue/green text on a black background. The last two lines are 'FTP Ready' followed by 'Application Frame Installed'.
Thanks for your help.

Peter
StudioQ

Postby bbb » Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Peter

Get a new HD - 17$

Go to "Replacing the HDD with a Compact Flash card" on the bottom of this page :

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/tpis.html

I followed Todd's instructions and it works perfectly...it's an inexpensive solution as well.

>parts - here's what I used:

1. IDE to Compact Flash Adapter - it's on ebay: Item number: 251064379193 - $8.99

2. Team 2GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TG002G2NCFFX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820313247 $6.99

3. "Power cable that converts a hard drive power connection to a floppy drive power connection"
I found this cable inside the Mackie power supply (under the metal cover)

Best of luck with this,
Bruce Brody
bbb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby StudioQ » Tue May 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Bruce,
Thank you for the links and taking the time to advise me. I just found an identical HD on ebay for $16. So before going the Flashcard route I will give this a try. This way I can just do a straight swap and hope that everything gets back to 'Normal' :) If not then I will try the Flashcard option. I will report back.

Many thanks for the information,

Peter
StudioQ

Postby StudioQ » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 am

I forgot to mention that I have one balky fader (#11) which sometimes sticks. Is there a fix or do I have to try and replace it?

Peter
StudioQ

Postby Maloik » Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 am

Hi Peter

At first I'd try to swap the faderboards 1 and 2. So you can see if the fader itself is causing the problem. By swapping the boards your balky fader should be on channel 3. If it's not, the fader is not the problem.

Then I'd try to clean the ribbon cables of the faderboards with some contact cleaner. In my case it worked out well.

If the fader itself is causing the problem (channel 3 also balky) you can try to clean the fader. Therefore check the database for "fader maintenance".
If it all does not work out, I think you'd have to replace the conceirning fader.

Regards
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum