Change font size   Print view

Desoldering Faderboard chip

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Desoldering Faderboard chip

Postby Maloik » Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi all!

I ordered the chips AD8803 and AD8804 to replace the bad chips on some of my faderboards.

The real problem in my case was the desoldering of the old chip. Some of the traces broke and came off the PCB while I tried to remove the chip from the PCB.
The best method for me was to desolder it with a lamp. I placed a 75 Watt halogen lamp just 1-2 inches above the chip, waited 2 or 3 minutes and the chip came off easy.

I thought this may be helpful for someone with the same problems. It was really easy.
I'll now try to repair the traces I broke in my first attempt. Is it possible to replace some of the traces with a thin copper wire??

Regards
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Desoldering Faderboard chip

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Damn, wish I had thought of that. Now we know. If i remember the trace under the chip goes to a via that sends the signal to the opposite side of the PCB. follow the trace and see where it goes next then try a jumper cable.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Casey!

I didn't notice any trace under the chip. In my case the problem was, that I tried to desolder the pins of the chip and some of the solder joints on the PCB became loose because I applied to much pressure to them. So now I have 4 loose solder joints and I thought about adding a little bit of copper wire to connect the loose ends with the pins of the new chip.

Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Red Carpet » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 pm

ive been using d8b with the d8bridge software for quite a while now
i have 2 d8b a half year ago i was using the software with cubase and while recording i was standing in the booth
suddenly the sound on my headphones went down to soft to none at all
the fader sunk to haf alls of them at once could you tell me what this could be?

after it happend i replaced it with the other unit same computer just switched the d8b

and i could work furter
but i still would like to repair the other unit cos i could use it a my normal mixer with the 3 mackie onyx 400 that i have

can somebody give me a hint
Red Carpet

Return to d8b Forum