Change font size   Print view

D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 am

BrianJ wrote:You're confusing me...!

I just need you to tell me exactly what to do first...

Should the box be connected to the D8B? I was going to unplug the cable from the D8B, plug it into my box, then plug the other end of the box into the D8B...then plug the two USB converters into my computer...Is that what I should be doing?

If so, then what? Do I turn on the D8B or does it stay off for the test?

well that's what you need to do, if your box is connected correctly :p because if not, maybe you could burn the d8b ports or the usb/serial ports :p but If you are sure It's correctly connected, then go on and connect the d8b and the serial/usb ports :p
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:50 am

I'm not sure it's done correctly...that what I thought we were going to test for.

I wired it all up to what I believe you have listed on your cable connections page. I'm asking for specific instructions on how to test it.

Right now I have two USB to serial converters hooked up to my laptop, and each one is going to one of the DB9 ports on my box...I then have a cable connecting the male and female DB25 connectors to make a passthrough...

Is that correct for testing?

Now what?

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:01 am

BrianJ wrote:I'm not sure it's done correctly...that what I thought we were going to test for.

I wired it all up to what I believe you have listed on your cable connections page. I'm asking for specific instructions on how to test it.

Right now I have two USB to serial converters hooked up to my laptop, and each one is going to one of the DB9 ports on my box...I then have a cable connecting the male and female DB25 connectors to make a passthrough...

Is that correct for testing?

Now what?

Brian

connect all cables and run VSPE, create a splitter for each serial port and activate monitoring mode and turn on the d8b, it should receive the character "R"
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 am

Ok, before I hook it up to the D8B, I need to know if the cable diagram is correct. I don't want to risk hurting my D8B console. So, could you please look at the following diagram...this is how I have my box wired...

Please note that BOTH the DB9 connectors are wired as follows: DB9 pin2 to DB25 pin2, DB9 pin3 to DB25 pin14, DB9 pin5 to DB25 pin3. This is the way it was explined in the cable videos...is this correct?

Also, on the left DB25 connector it says it connects to the D8B CPU/power supply...it really connects to the D8B data cable, and the data cable is connected to the power supply/CPU. Just wanted to clarify that this was intended to be inserted between the data cable and the console.

Can you confirm that this diagram is correct?

Thank you for all your help!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

After watching the videos again, it looks like BOTH DB9 connectors are wired the same...I edited my diagram and previous post above....
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Casey_Pittman wrote:Do these pin connections look right? The idea was to have the 25 pins on one side and the 9 on the other. That way you could connect the adapter cables to a usb hub inside of a project case and have a single USB connector on the panel. Pretty much exactly like the idea above. I would be more than happy to share the eagle files with folks if they wanted to set it up differently. But, this config should work well for a small aluminum project case.

-Casey

Casey,

I'm trying to make sure my cable is connected properly...I actually followed your diagram...however, upon watching the cable videos on youtube, it seems they conflict with what you have...he says the following:

DB9 pin2 goes to DB25 pin2,
DB9 pin3 goes to DB25 pin14,
DB9 pin5 goes to DB25 pin3.

Your drawing shows soemthing different...can you confirm?

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 pm

BrianJ wrote:
Casey_Pittman wrote:Do these pin connections look right? The idea was to have the 25 pins on one side and the 9 on the other. That way you could connect the adapter cables to a usb hub inside of a project case and have a single USB connector on the panel. Pretty much exactly like the idea above. I would be more than happy to share the eagle files with folks if they wanted to set it up differently. But, this config should work well for a small aluminum project case.

-Casey

Casey,

I'm trying to make sure my cable is connected properly...I actually followed your diagram...however, upon watching the cable videos on youtube, it seems they conflict with what you have...he says the following:

DB9 pin2 goes to DB25 pin2,
DB9 pin3 goes to DB25 pin14,
DB9 pin5 goes to DB25 pin3.

Your drawing shows soemthing different...can you confirm?

Brian

as long as I remember, in in the DB25 that goes to the CPU, the pin 14 is the Transmit and pin 2 is Receive, and in the DB25 that goes to the console , the pin 14 is Receive and pin 2 is transmit, so when you connect the original straight cable, CPU transmit goes to console receive and console transmit goes to CPU receive, so, If you are connecting serial to USB converters in the middle, the corresponding transmit pins should go to the serial/usb receive pin,etc... then, the connections are different in each port, only Tx/Rx are inverted,

also If you are not 100% sure what is the transmit port, just connect a LED and a >1k resistor between the Tx pin and ground, and when you turn the d8b, If the LED flash, then its the transmit port, also the same with the console port, also with the serial/usb , if you send a character from hyperterminal, the transmit port should flash the LED :p
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 pm

elperroromel,

Ok...so I made a new diagram since reading your last post...can you confirm this one would be correct?

BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:24 pm

mm yes I think your diagram is correct,
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Ok, that's how I set it up. I plugged it in between the d8b console and the CPU, and made the connections to the two DB9 connectors with wire (as shown in the picture below) and turned on the CPU. Everything booted up just like normal. So it seems that the harness I made is working ok! The black data cable on the right is going to the CPU...this is the one that normally connects the CPU to the D8B console. The tan cable on the left is now going to the D8B console.

Ok...now that I've got that, I still need to figure out how to get the USB to serial cables to do what they're supposed to...so, starting fresh from here, what do I do first?
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum