Change font size   Print view

D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Postby elperroromel » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:11 pm

FrankH wrote:Wow....what a proto-kludge.
Considering the components used to make that thing, perhaps mounting everything inside a little metal box might be reasonably cost-effective way of presenting this thing to the public.

that is a good design, well I am still testing and in development so maybe that case can wait.. I need first to finish at least a reasonably working version hehe

btw Here a list of advances I have achieved (with help from a guy that found the led meters and time display codes)

the first 8 channel work, with button leds feedback (including vpots) and led meters(still testing)

the remaining channels work but only sending to DAW, the receiving part for now only receives the faders values, if you press mute button, the corresponding led button will not turn on(the same happens with vpots leds) will work on that later, It's easy to solve, just I was busy implementing the led meters part

the transport buttons work and jog wheel/scrub/zoom

the remaining mcu buttons is just matter of mapping to a specific d8b buttons (user-configurable, only editing a text-file)

just implemented the time display, for now it works, just needs to clear the displays when changing from minutes/secs to bars/beats

added an extra midi port so I can map buttons to a non-mcu port, and send non-mcu midi commands (user-configurable) to map some buttons to a specific DAW function...

those people interested can find more information in this wiki:

http://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/w/list

the guy that helped me uploaded a video and pics of the cable he made, If someone wants to build their own he can get help there..

I recommend to visit each page on the wiki to see whats going on
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Do these pin connections look right? The idea was to have the 25 pins on one side and the 9 on the other. That way you could connect the adapter cables to a usb hub inside of a project case and have a single USB connector on the panel. Pretty much exactly like the idea above. I would be more than happy to share the eagle files with folks if they wanted to set it up differently. But, this config should work well for a small aluminum project case.

-Casey
Attachments
d8b breakout.png
d8b breakout.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2399 times
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Casey:

I based my little box drawing on the link provided by elperroromel in an earlier post:

https://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/wik ... onnections

Scroll down to see the assembled cable that it's based on. Further lookie-looks in some videos. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMH04NIq54

Didn't see any DB9's hanging off that.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:14 pm

The 9 pins are for the serial-USB adapters. In the video the guy just hacked 2 of these apart and connected them via a HUB from what I understood and taped it all together. I did this as a way to not have to hack into any cables and worry about connections coming loose.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm

yes, the guy disassembled the usb/db9 adapters and soldered the cables that was connected to the db9 directly to the db25 port, My connections are similar to the picture you showed, but mine are still mounted on a proto-board, it would be cool to make a printed circuit board and solder the ports there and put in a box like your diagram ,

btw there are new advances done! all 24 channels work now! check the wiki!

http://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/wiki/advances

the guy that made his own cable is testing my program now and is working well, just needs some minor bugfixes...
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm

That's great news!

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:48 am

Here is a video showing the program working, I was playing a song in FL studio, and FL studio doesn't support the extenders, that's why only first 8 channels work, but later I will upload a video using Reaper, Reaper suports all the 48 channel I implemented (in 2 banks of 24) NOTE: that is not HUI Mode neither MIDI Mapping, is a software I made like d8bridge, but with my program, I can still use the audio part of the d8b (preamps/buses/eq/comp/etc..) just the controlling of the mackie CPU is disconnected when in "DAW Mode" but audio part is still working...

more info at: https://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/w/list
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 pm

awesome man!
Respect for all your work!

I wish I could test your program by myself but I think I'm much too stupid to get this working :-D ....I tried to follow your explanations from the google code site...but no chance :-)

Will the program work with Samplitude at any time?

But really great work til now!!

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Maloik wrote:awesome man!
Respect for all your work!

I wish I could test your program by myself but I think I'm much too stupid to get this working :-D ....I tried to follow your explanations from the google code site...but no chance :-)

It's not that hard! just joining a couple of wires together..
Maloik wrote:Will the program work with Samplitude at any time?

But really great work til now!!

Cheers
Tom

well if Samplitude supports Mackie Control and Extenders, It should work,
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm

also check this video uploaded by a guy that made the cable and is testing my program
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum