Change font size   Print view

Mapping midi in Studio one 2.5 on OSX

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mapping midi in Studio one 2.5 on OSX

Postby bcarrigg90 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience mapping midi controls from the d8b console to control things like panning and mutes for studio one on osx? Until d8bridge version 2 comes out, I don't have any other options for Mac. Its a university computer, and i'm trying to set the small campus studio up as professionally as possible. A hardware controller like the d8b with d8bridge, or at least decent midi mapping, would help a bunch.

I've gotten faders to send midi so far, but not receive, shuttle, play, stop, and time code to work so far.
bcarrigg90

Re: Mapping midi in Studio one 2.5 on OSX

Postby FrankH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 am

but not receive, shuttle, play, stop, and time code to work so far.

These are all the screens you'll need to deal with. Substitute your MIDI I/O for the MIDI Express 128 in the shot.
You should be able to figure it out without any further questions. This will work.
screenshot_02.png
screenshot_02.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2060 times
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bcarrigg90 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 pm

It appears the midi capabilities are very limited. This is essentially the same function I was able to achieve before. The midi communication is only one way, either from the board or to the board on each channel. I am only on version 2 of the OS at the moment. Is this something that changes in later versions, either version 3 or 5.1? I would really love the ability to have bidirectional midi data on every channel. That alone would be more useful. It does not appear that there is any way to map pans, or mutes, even though the midi filter window registers these movements as midi signals, it doesn't seem to recognize them as usable. The mutes register as midi notes. Pans show up as PolyPressure, whatever that means.

I didn't quite understand Why you had your d8b setup as a midi instrument instead of a control surface. Doing that doesnt allow you to map the midi messages to studio one's controls does it?
bcarrigg90

Postby FrankH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:32 pm

That collection of screenshots shows the appropriate menus to setup Transport communication between the D8B and StudioOne.....answering this:
but not receive, shuttle, play, stop, and time code to work so far.

I don't use the D8B to control StudioOne fader/mute/pan functions, so I haven't dug into the procedure. Poly Pressure is a MIDI function that assigns 128 pressure values to 128 keys each times 16 individual MIDI channels. Many developers take advantage of this spec because very few MIDI keyboards support Poly Pressure....so it gives them a way to channelize 16384 values times 16 (262,144 total) from one specific category.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 pm

OS 3 definitely allows for bi-directional operation. OS 3 is free. Make sure you also get the 16 bit patch. However, OS 5.1 is worth the expense.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby bcarrigg90 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am

Sorry, the way I worded that was confusing. I intended the original post to mean that I had gotten faders to send midi, ff, few, play, stop, and time code all to work, just not receiving data back from the DAW. This is where OS 3 will come in handy. i've been planning to upgrade the OS as soon as i can, but its taking longer than I thought to do so. The IT department ordered a usb floppy drive for me to use, but i did not think to have them get floppy disk, and they did not think to order them on their own. Its amazing how hard it is to find floppies now. But as soon as i upgrade that, I will have full duplex fader control! Exciting.

I think i will experiment with Bome's midi translator and see if I can't get that poly pressure message translated into something studio one will recognize as a knob.
bcarrigg90

Postby bcarrigg90 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:57 am

So far I've gotten all the pans mapped, and I've mapped the mute buttons in the board to the solo buttons in studio one. It's more useful to me that way, and there doesn't seem to be any midi information sent when the solo buttons are pressed on the board. As soon as I track down some floppies I should be ready to go! I really like working with a board to control the software. I hate mixing with a mouse.
bcarrigg90

Postby FrankH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 am

and there doesn't seem to be any midi information sent when the solo buttons are pressed on the board.
Yes there is. If (for instance) you map the Mutes on all 24 channels of the D8B's Deck 1 to 24 channels of audio tracks in Studio One, when you solo a D8B channel (for instance, Channel 2), the D8B will send out 23 mutes to Channels 1, 3-24. Just map the mutes and solo will work.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 am

Bingo Frank. Spot on.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby bcarrigg90 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Is this something that changed after os 2? Mine doesn't show any midi activity whatsoever with the solo buttons.
bcarrigg90

Next

Return to d8b Forum