Change font size   Print view

version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Postby Carlo » Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm

On the whole....this is all the fault of the code generator problem....Mackie had all the chances to arrange the code generator before this happened. On the other hand the d8b is obsolete now so hack or no hack it shouldn't matter for Mackie any longer.

1: is it legal to bypass an id chip for a good cause to get the d8b upgraded to V5.1 since its no longer available?
2: is it legal to use the d8b as a control surface (D8Bridge)?..... a cheap Mackie control surface replacement when compared to the MCU pro control surface cost...http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/index.html.
3: is it legal to modify the apogee clock with a switch for termination and no termination.
4: is it legal to BUY new auth codes from 3rd parties by providing the ESN to them (On this forum there are rumors that an insider at Mackie is providing/ selling codes to people...is this true? ). Could it be that Mackie didn't want to fix the code generator due to this insider...so that he/she stops doing this?...thinking aloud....

On the other hand the plugins should be bought since they are available online. In fact i bought FINAL MIX few months ago for my second d8b.

On the other hand the desk is OUT OF PRODUCTION
Last edited by Carlo on Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Carlo wrote:On the whole....this is all the fault of the code generator problem....Mackie had all the chances to arrange the code generator before this happened. On the other hand the d8b is obsolete now so hack or no hack it shouldn't matter for Mackie any longer.

1: is it legal to bypass an id chip?......
2: is it legal to use the d8b as a control surface (D8Bridge)?..... a cheap Mackie control surface replacement
3: is it legal to modify the apogee clock with a switch for termination and no termination.

I think since the desk is OUT OF PRODUCTION it shouldn't matter any longer.

They're not supporting it, the web page purchase 'button' redirects to a static page, so one can assume it's no longer for sale... so Dead Nutz On, Carlo... it is now Officially on the Extinction List...

So, IF they really wanted to just rid themselves of this apparent head-ache of theirs, they could do so VERY easily by just simply modifying the source code to bypass the authorization and 'unlocking' of the operating system, recompiling and releasing an update as a Final Act of good will... would take all of an hour or so... oh, but wait... this is Mackie... my Bad... :shock:
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 pm

maxcz wrote:Hi doktor1360,
I wish you tons of luck - you will need them! If you can bypass authorization by a software solution I will forward the virtual beer I earned earlier to you ;)
Did you manage to get a debugger running on a live d8b or are you reading through the dll "offline"?

Hey Maxcz... I'm currently hindered by having a VERY under powered Windoze machine at my disposal... my workhorse is a Fedora Linux ride... so the best I've been able to do currently is scour the disassembled code I've got from the link lib itself... at this point, it's hardening my resolve to determine just how to get this worked out, get a plan together... we'll see... stay tuned... ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed May 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Carlo wrote:3: is it legal to modify the apogee clock with a switch for termination and no termination.

I hardly think that point has any relevance since I already had purchased an Apogee Clock Card.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby anyhorizon » Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Look, you guys do what you wanna do. I don't mind and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Carlo » Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 pm

anyhorizon wrote:
Carlo wrote:3: is it legal to modify the apogee clock with a switch for termination and no termination.

I hardly think that point has any relevance since I already had purchased an Apogee Clock Card.

Peter

Maybe yes you are right on that point....
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:48 am

Hi All;

This may have been covered in previous posts and if so, so sorry.....

I wrote Mackie to find out if any of the 3 d8b's I owned had 5.1 registered with them and as it turns out 2 of them have 5.1 registered, however, as the server is down and out, they can not give me those codes.

So close yet, so far!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:22 pm

doktor1360 wrote:Hey Maxcz... I'm currently hindered by having a VERY under powered Windoze machine at my disposal... my workhorse is a Fedora Linux ride... so the best I've been able to do currently is scour the disassembled code I've got from the link lib itself... at this point, it's hardening my resolve to determine just how to get this worked out, get a plan together... we'll see... stay tuned... ;-)

Peace

Hey.
How is it coming along with that dll file thingie?

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cvv » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 am

doktor1360 wrote:
maxcz wrote:Hi doktor1360,
I wish you tons of luck - you will need them! If you can bypass authorization by a software solution I will forward the virtual beer I earned earlier to you ;)
Did you manage to get a debugger running on a live d8b or are you reading through the dll "offline"?

Hey Maxcz... I'm currently hindered by having a VERY under powered Windoze machine at my disposal... my workhorse is a Fedora Linux ride... so the best I've been able to do currently is scour the disassembled code I've got from the link lib itself... at this point, it's hardening my resolve to determine just how to get this worked out, get a plan together... we'll see... stay tuned... ;-)

Peace

Dok,

Not sure how much progress you've made on the debugging the RS422.DLL, but in looking back over the documentation 5.1 will require a reboot after 7 minutes if not authorized. Assuming you're using DOS DEBUG, you might consider searching for 420000 (7 minutes in milliseconds) or a value in that vicinity. This value should be getting used when doing a CMP and then followed by a JNZ. I only have OS 2.0 installed, so I can't do analysis myself (my board works and taking a chance of screwing it up by installing 5.1 without a light at the end of the tunnel does not appeal).

HTH,
CVV
cvv

Postby Old School » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:38 am

Could it be possible to change this value to 14,400.000, that would give you 4 hours of run-time. If the answer is yes, I have a spare D8B I'd like to try it on.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum