Change font size   Print view

version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 pm

kv68 wrote:well its been 2 weeks without any reply from Mackie ..and lookin at the forum i'm not the only person having this issue.

its absolutely outragious for a company to sell a known faulty product then reply "in the interim re-install version 3 as this doesn't need a code" they need to in the interim re-install $174 into my bank account..

worst support I've ever encountered from a pro audio company

Hey y'all...

[mounts Soapbox - clears throat]

Mackie REALLY needs to open source the code to this fucking OS, so WE can take care of business! I'm just putting this out there, but I'd be MORE than willing to get involved, from all aspects - negotiations to actively involved in it's development. This product, and the HRD/MDR/SDR recorders are WELL WORTH the investments, provided there's some semblance of 'user & product support', whether it be from Mackie stepping up to the friggin Plate or doing the Right Thing and allowing US, the Community, to maintain & extend the code base, hardware support, you name it. It's NOT that hard to do or anything that hasn't been done over n over in business practices, and Mackie themselves could CHOOSE the level of involvement they'd like - all the way to a "Hands Off. Here, you have it" policy...

C'mon Mackie, do the Right Thing... and Shit or get off the fucking Pot...

[/dismounts Soapbox]

Apologies for any bandwidth waste you may have experienced reading this...

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 am

I thought that one poster did get the 5.1 registration issue sorted but I can't find that post.

I'm not making apologies for Mackie and I believe the service to be poor but I think I know why they pay the d8b little mind. Firstly, virtually no-one who was around at its inception is around now. Secondly, I think they're astounded at its longevity and Thirdly, it is still competing with their newer products which must royally get their gander up. They'd be happy to see it pass away quietly. This is a shame. I agree kv68 should get his money back and I have definitely seen a post where that offer was made by Mackie to another poster.

Finally, just as a random thought, maybe those of us who have 5.1 could collate our ESNs, Box Code requests and resulting authorisation codes and then someone who's clever enough could work out the registration generating process. Backwards engineering, so to speak.

Just a thought.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby bbb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 am

anyhorizon wrote:I thought that one poster did get the 5.1 registration issue sorted but I can't find that post.

Finally, just as a random thought, maybe those of us who have 5.1 could collate our ESNs, Box Code requests and resulting authorisation codes and then someone who's clever enough could work out the registration generating process. Backwards engineering, so to speak.

Just a thought.

Peter

That's a brilliant idea Peter.

Bruce Brody
bbb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks Bruce. I think it might work. It's just HEX math of some kind.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 pm

anyhorizon wrote:Thanks Bruce. I think it might work. It's just HEX math of some kind.

Peter

Yup... Mackie uses a HEX Hash Algorithm based on your ESN (stored on the Brainboard EPROM), that's how things are 'tied' to a users particular console. I (a lot of others too, I'm sure) could most likely do this, to some extent - an EPROM programmer, hex editor (I use 'bless' on my Linux boxen, plenty of free apps for Windoze) and a little time. You'd have to take a look at the memory address data values for those Authorization keys... it may or may not become apparent as of the 'what-how' to create/generate each of these individual keys - for starters; however, it certainly CAN be done... I'd LOVE to go a few Rounds with this, we'll see... :ugeek:

Thoughts?!?
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Last edited by anyhorizon on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kv68 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Folks,

Firstly can i thank you guys !! is really heartening to see that a group of users is taking up the slack for bad support ...since i got this lovely console ive had a few issues/midi/wordclock etc..and literally within minutes you guys have had me back on the road ..so again thank you

the esn/auth issue ...do you not have to be careful about copyright infringement ..im sure they look at these boards and while its a gorgeous idea ...really dont want anyone getting into greif for a company being crap ...but if ya do it let me know!!

to update you on my situation : i sent a polite but firm email saying how they havent been in touch for over a fortnight and how i seen on the forums around the net im not the only person having issues ..so surely they have sold me a faulty product and i formally requested a refund ....i got this back the same day ........

Hi,

While our supervisor is out of the office this week, we will forward your information/details to him. He should be back at the beginning of next week.

All the Best,

well i feel better now ...specially the "should" be back wish my job was that flexible ..bless em cant be that busy

Steve
kv68

Postby kv68 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm

i spose my esn /auth code is useless as it dont work

but just say if you want it :)
kv68

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:04 pm

kv68 wrote:the esn/auth issue ...do you not have to be careful about copyright infringement ..im sure they look at these boards and while its a gorgeous idea ...really dont want anyone getting into greif for a company being crap ...but if ya do it let me know!!

It's not going to be a problem because in order to get the request code, you have to purchase the software anyway. Further, Mackie obviously don't give a flying frankfurt anymore and that can be easily demonstrated.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:14 pm

kv68 wrote:i spose my esn /auth code is useless as it dont work
but just say if you want it :)

Are you saying that you have an authorisation code?

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum