Change font size   Print view

version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I emailed Technical Support requesting my authorisation codes (I had lost some) and they were back to me within 24 hours which is admirable. They also sent me the incorrect OS 5.1 code. All the others were correct. I hope this gets sorted.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:52 am

There's just one thing I wanted to ask kv. Do you have Plug in et al Service Pack 3 installed? That could make a difference.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:08 am

anyhorizon wrote:I emailed Technical Support requesting my authorisation codes (I had lost some) and they were back to me within 24 hours which is admirable. They also sent me the incorrect OS 5.1 code. All the others were correct. I hope this gets sorted.

Peter

Yeah, I agree Peter; I personally feel they're doing what they can... if they could just manage to work their way thru the damn OS 5.1 code generation issue, Life would be frikkin SCHWEET in D8B-Land, and I know you and I wouldn't be the only individuals that'd be completely Geeked... :D

IMHO, it's not a question of "if", but more of "when" this issue get's resolved successfully... sooner, rather than later too...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kv68 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:00 am

yeah got them all installed peter ..tried different floppys in case an install file went screwy formatted different hd ..memory ..tried everything ...just getting my money back would be nice a shame but nice ..this was sposed to be a present from my missus for my birthday ..it aint cheap! ..so sorta double sucks the thing they sent was duff
kv68

Postby Old School » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:49 am

I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest, as I have yet to upgrade to 5.1. The concern about copyright
infringement is not an issue. Contrary to what many believe, it is not illegal to reverse engineer your OS. It would be like GM selling you a car with the stipulation that you can never look under the hood or ever upgrade or modify your engine. Almost none of the ELUA's in existence will stand up in court. It amounts to an "unconscionable contract". More so since
you only find out about the EULA after you paid 11 grand for your D8B. Also the only person who could possibly benefit
from a reverse engineering of the OS would be someone who has already paid for A D8B. I really wish someone out there
with knowledge of such things would undertake this project. Mackie cut off all support for me less than 2 years after I paid over 16 Grand for my rig. I think I have a right to modify this software to run on a different motherboard with different
video cards and access to a cd rom drive and USB port so that I can continue to use and possibly improve the performance of the hardware I paid so much for.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Old School wrote:I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest, as I have yet to upgrade to 5.1. The concern about copyright
infringement is not an issue. Contrary to what many believe, it is not illegal to reverse engineer your OS. It would be like GM selling you a car with the stipulation that you can never look under the hood or ever upgrade or modify your engine. Almost none of the ELUA's in existence will stand up in court. It amounts to an "unconscionable contract". More so since
you only find out about the EULA after you paid 11 grand for your D8B. Also the only person who could possibly benefit
from a reverse engineering of the OS would be someone who has already paid for A D8B. I really wish someone out there
with knowledge of such things would undertake this project. Mackie cut off all support for me less than 2 years after I paid over 16 Grand for my rig. I think I have a right to modify this software to run on a different motherboard with different
video cards and access to a cd rom drive and USB port so that I can continue to use and possibly improve the performance of the hardware I paid so much for.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike W.

As soon as I get a 'working' model here in my home studio, you can bet yer ass Mike that I'm gonna get to the bottom of this - I've got a working initiative outlined already. I completely agree with the points you've raised - being a software professional, I can certainly vouch for the ambiguity and arcane issues involved in formulating a EULA mandate. And 'Yowser, I'm really saddened to hear about your plight tho, that's one helluva an investment, Sir - I'd be pissed too...

That all being said Gang, this can't be THAT difficult to reverse engineer the EPROM byte code, I've done this professionally for a lot of years, and then burn EPROM's that would work 'universally' for the D8B Community. WHEN this becomes a Reality, I'd love to propose a solution that everyone could live with. It would first have to be tested (obviously) for integrity, and would require opening your desk for access and replacing the actual chip itself. I would propose working for 'Free' with anyone who's paid Mackie a D8B 5.1 license to get this worked out - a sort of 'Beta' test pool of users (chips aren't free, and they don't just program themselves). Beyond that, if you've already paid for a license (can't do anything about that) the chips could be provided for a nominal cost to cover the parts. Actually, when a working model is produced it should be generally available for the price point mentioned above; but I'm sure they'd 'show up' on eBay for a profit, too. This procedure is NOT Rocket Science, just requires the right tools and resourceful individual(s) to make it happen... and that would certainly includes myself... bottom line, as long as it's not costing me personally the time & $$$, I'll be willing help anyone out... not at a profit either... the actual details to ANY of this should be worked out when we've got a solution to this that's solid and everyone can live with... :ugeek:

I really just need a working EPROM from my D8B desk here to get this started... stay tuned... :mrgreen:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 am

A most admirable endeavour, Dok. Good luck and may The Force be with you.

Cheers,

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:25 am

Thanks Dok, I don't know machine code, but if you need any other kind of support for this endeavor, please let me know.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kv68 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am

hiya guys ...well finally mackie got back to me and agreed a refund (which actually made me sad as i did really want 5.1!!) so i dunno if that means the code issue is gonna take a while to fix or whether they just got sick of my emails (:)) as there was never any explanation from them about why the code didn't work , just silence , buck passing then the refund offer.

I really hope its sorted soon, then they can gladly have my moolah back in their bank account

Again TY soo much for all the help guys

speak soon :)

Steve
kv68

Postby kv68 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:06 pm

and doktor that does indeed sound like a valiant undertaking ..again not a coder ...but if any other assistance/info required give me a shout

glad i found this board ..is class!
kv68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum