Change font size   Print view

version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: version 5.1 Authorisation issue

Postby maxcz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

Bruce Graham wrote:Somebody, by that man a beer!

Bruce

I second that!
maxcz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby maxcz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:24 am

As Carlo requested, here is a brief roundup of my work:
- I read the d8b authorization thread here. The ID chip including a link to it's documentation was mentioned somewhere here.
- I checked the application note and found that the ESN might fit exactly the 6 bytes available in the chip ROM.
- Took my storage scope and verified this - Bingo!
- So I had the idea to make a microcontroller emulate the ID chip so that I could simply clone my d8b#1 to d8b#2
- Hacking the timning was a bit tricky, it gets to the limits of my 8MHz microcontroller...
- But it works very well now, just clone the CPU's HDD and the console's ESN and all is fine!
maxcz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby maxcz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

Where to go from here?
- If you are ready for some soldering on your brainboard, you can get a preprogrammed chip and make the modification yourself.
- If additionally you hafe a programming environment for atmel microcontrollers, I could simply send you a HEX file.
- If you think that soldering irons are too hot for you, you might find someone who does the work for you or - as a last ressort - you could send a brainboard to me for modification.
The modification itself is not risky if done carefully, and it is reversible. My only fear is that a brainboard might get lost or damaged during shipping...
maxcz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby maxcz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am

What is in it for me?
Well, at least one beer so far :-)
I did this for absolutely selfish reasons and - to be truthful - to show Mackie that I can get what I want even if they refuse to cooperate. And I need this damn second desk as backup!
As a side effect, it maybe helps the d8b community, and I am proud of that.
So if you pay shipping and the hardware cost plus a donation for what it is worth to you I shall be happy to help out...
maxcz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:32 pm

I say someone buy this man two cases
a case of beer and a case knife he can have his case of beer
then open his case knife because he just cut Mackie down good.
and it would have been so easy for Mackie to have done the same thing
but it was so hard for them to do this and help the people out that helped
them when they needed to sell the d8bs. I tip my hat off to you Maxcz

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I stand to agree with Joe Allen. Marxcz has made our dream a reality. We owe him more than a case of beer ;)

Dear Marxcz, can you please upload some photos of the modification (plus some closeups please)?

Thanks loads mate

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:04 pm

maxcz wrote:My chip will need 3 connections: +5V, Gnd, Data. +5V and Gnd can be found in many connectors and can be tapped easily. For the data line it is necessary to cut a trace on the brainboard and solder a wire to a (comparatively large) SMD resistor. Not too difficult for anybody who has a little soldering practice. Not recommended for a newbie, however...

see above...This is ALL dear people.....

Maxcz some pictures will help a lot and a lot ;)
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby maxcz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm

ok, 2 photos for you:
The first one shows the chip soldered to a little PCB with connector pins:
chip.jpg
chip.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 813 times

On the second you see this PCB plugged into my development board (3 LEDs for debugging!) which is connected to the brainboard:
brain.jpg
brain.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 813 times

This is an experimental setup, of course. In the final version there will not be much more than the little SMD chip connected to three wires somehow.
More photos will follow as soon as I have installed a pre-final version in my d8b...
maxcz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:55 pm

maxcz wrote:ok, 2 photos for you:
The first one shows the chip soldered to a little PCB with connector pins:
chip.jpg

On the second you see this PCB plugged into my development board (3 LEDs for debugging!) which is connected to the brainboard:
brain.jpg

This is an experimental setup, of course. In the final version there will not be much more than the little SMD chip connected to three wires somehow.
More photos will follow as soon as I have installed a pre-final version in my d8b...

thanks for the pics marxcz....yes it would be nice to see the final product....you rock man
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:59 pm

marxcz im curious to see where on the brainboard you have soldered the wires of your experimental setup....could you be so kind to take a shot? I dont know which is the original ID chip on the brainboard.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum