Change font size   Print view

D8B and Pro Tools Transport Control

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B and Pro Tools Transport Control

Postby soundmanford » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm

So I was able to get some more information from the guy who did the mod to the console. Let me just say this. The guy is a dick and I am glad I dont have to live with him. After dancing around with him on how he did the mods, what parts were used blah blah blah her confessed up to saying that the preamps were not API's, go figure. Good thing I hadn't advertised to my clients that this con had API's in it. The Story I got from him which I'm not sure what to believe after the first lie, is that the first 4 pre amps went bad in 2007. Now this part I can believe. He opened the console up and replaced 8 of the 12 inputs with pre amps from a broken verona. I googled and looks like a midas console. This would make sense because the XLR' chassis look like the ones on the back of the midas console. D8B has a plastic with no release catch, but my console does. Another interesting note that Never crossed my mind is that my 48v switches are not push buttons but rather toggles. Also I noticed that the verona is a modular console in groups of 8. Hope this helps the confusion. Funny how this thread started off as a question about transport controls but turned in to this. Oh and the last four pres on my D8b do not match the first 8. We will be tearing down the studio to re config our crazy t shaped control room. I will try to get pics later this month when that happens. As far as the code rewrite I didn't get any clarification on that either. I guess no one will ever know
soundmanford

Postby FrankH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Funny how this thread started off as a question about transport controls but turned in to this.

Yeah, that happens from time to time. Think of this part as the Bonus Round. It's like a little murder mystery.
as I'm sure it's essentially just a 'licensed' Windoze kernel

It was an OS kernel that came from a 3rd party developer specializing in embedded systems that hooked into DOS. Definitely wasn't a Microsoft kernel. Can't remember the name.
As far as the code rewrite I didn't get any clarification on that either.
And I don't think you will as I'm now fairly convinced the seller was entirely FOS. It certainly explains the <$200 pricepoint.

When you wrote this:
All I know is we were told by him and his house tech that 5.1 would not work with the new mic input section.
Does that mean you took him at his word and never tried an install of 5.1? You see where I'm going with this?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby soundmanford » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 pm

We did try to install 5.1 on a second drive. Epic fail.
soundmanford

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Fail as in the mic pre's didn't work like you said or it didn't load properly? You said you put it on a second drive, did you follow the instructions on formatting a new hard drive when you did this?

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 am

soundmanford wrote:We did try to install 5.1 on a second drive. Epic fail.

Make sure you utilize an unallocated drive. The 5.1 Installer is pretty rigid, and IT wants to do any partitioning on that boot drive - otherwise you'll continually get 'drive not boot patched' errors - not boot patched being the KEYWORDS... Again, the installer INSISTS on doing the partitioning & formatting, and it'll piss you off regardless of the fact you know what you're doing. Essentially 3 hard disk install states - Unallocated, Partitioned or Partitioned/Formatted... the latter 2, No Bueno, no matter how you Slice n Dice it. Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already), use an unallocated, raw drive and rerun the installer... me thinks you just might get past this step... ;)

However, as always:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] : "Your actual mileage may vary..."

Have at it, and let us know what ensues... :mrgreen:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum