Change font size   Print view

Building a new CPU

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Building a new CPU

Postby riqroq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Has anyone ever rebuilt a clone of this proprietary type computer. Is it possible to put the computer aspect of this board into a new computer
riqroq

Re: Building a new CPU

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 pm

I just saw this post and I have the same question. I would love to know if anyone has built a current day CPU/PSU to work with the console. I have an older Muse Receptor which is basically a computer, (personally, the worst piece of crap I ever bought) so I would like to use it as a new CPU/PSU I am sure with some modifications.

Anybody!
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 pm

And to go a step further, has anyone ever been able to use other plugins such as current day plugins by Waves? or Fabfilter?
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:25 am

You can't use any plug-ins other than those designed by Mackie/Acuma for the MFX and UFX cards.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds logical. Now, does anyone have any thoughts on building a new CPU/PSU that would work with the console?
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:07 am

Hi,
I don't think the console is your biggest problem. Your larger problem is that the OS will not boot on other motherboards that don't contain the OEM stuff the OS wants to see before it boots. But if you or someone you know can rewrite said OS, then you might have a shot. Good Luck.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 am

That is interesting. I don't see why though, because it is just a computer. As long as it allows you to load the OS, it should work. I would love to ditch the 3.5 floppy and replace with a CD-ROM drive and then I would like to put a backup hard drive in it. THe only reason the thing is so huge is that it contains the power supply for the console, which could be placed into a separate box.
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:That is interesting. I don't see why though, because it is just a computer. As long as it allows you to load the OS, it should work. I would love to ditch the 3.5 floppy and replace with a CD-ROM drive and then I would like to put a backup hard drive in it. THe only reason the thing is so huge is that it contains the power supply for the console, which could be placed into a separate box.

It's not 'just a computer' in this instance - more like an OEM micro-controller. That BIOS byte code is setup SPECIFICALLY for the Mackie I/O utilization of that hardware. Mike (Old School) is correct, IF the OS were open-sourced (in a Perfect World) the drivers could then be loaded by the OS to use whatever was available and supported - and if there wasn't one for the specific hardware someone needs, a driver would have to be written and then copied to the released OS/Installer... can get complicated, to say the least... :geek:

Hope this helps...

Peace

You knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum