Change font size   Print view

newly aquired d8b won't boot

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

newly aquired d8b won't boot

Postby seasiderecording » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 pm

I have had my d8b since 2000. I just got a backup board and CPU. I replaced the video card and I now have video output. The CPU has the 300mhz motherboard. I did all the bios settings according to the sheet and replaced the battery. Now it hangs on this screen.
I am not sure of the OS on this new board I just got.Any ideas? Thanks
photo of screen error.JPG
this is my monitor display
photo of screen error.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1027 times
apogee clock, MOTU 2408, Mac 2.66 quad powermac, Digital Performer, D8b owner since 2000
seasiderecording

Re: newly aquired d8b won't boot

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 pm

seasiderecording wrote:I have had my d8b since 2000. I just got a backup board and CPU. I replaced the video card and I now have video output. The CPU has the 300mhz motherboard. I did all the bios settings according to the sheet and replaced the battery. Now it hangs on this screen.
I am not sure of the OS on this new board I just got.Any ideas? Thanks
photo of screen error.JPG

Replace the video card with the previous one (or a supported card if the original has failed)... Spidey Sense is telling me you've got a Video Display card that is NOT compatible with the limited driver set that's available in the OS - this especially true with OS version 3... updated video drivers are NOT available unless you upgrade to OS version 5.1...

Give that video card swap a Go (re-swap to previously installed card or one that's known compatible), and post your results - me thinks you'll be A-OK... ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby seasiderecording » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks, The reason I swapped the video card with another is because the one I got with the new CPU did not work. I used a card from a box of them where I work. You are probably right. It works for making the bios settings visible but does not allow the OS to boot. Is this what you are saying" How can I get a working card that is compatible without taking it out of my original CPU? My board is OS 5.1 but I can't tell what this new board is. It was a donation to our college studio here on Maui. Is there a model # for the rage video card? Thank you for your help. Joel
apogee clock, MOTU 2408, Mac 2.66 quad powermac, Digital Performer, D8b owner since 2000
seasiderecording

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:52 pm

seasiderecording wrote:Thanks, The reason I swapped the video card with another is because the one I got with the new CPU did not work. I used a card from a box of them where I work. You are probably right. It works for making the bios settings visible but does not allow the OS to boot. Is this what you are saying" How can I get a working card that is compatible without taking it out of my original CPU? My board is OS 5.1 but I can't tell what this new board is. It was a donation to our college studio here on Maui. Is there a model # for the rage video card? Thank you for your help. Joel

Spot-On... it'll POST until it gets to loading up the OS (reference your screenshot), at that point it transfers control over to the OS, and the OS expects that a video card capable of utilizing the included drivers is installed in the CPU... otherwise, No Joy...

Check the database, Joel (http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html)... I will add that these cards work really well (I use these in my D8B and HDR 24/96): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129042

You can find them for even less on eBay, just make sure the card is built on the ATI Radeon 7000 chipset, and you're Golden - drivers are included w/ the Mackie OS... others will work, but I've found that ANY Radeon 7000 based card will work without issue... :geek:

Have at it, Brutha... and post back here to let us all know how ya made out... ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby seasiderecording » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 am

Well, I've made progress. My radeon 7000 series card arrived from ebay I put it in and it still wouldn't boot. I had shipped my board to S and X pro audio a year and a half ago from Hawaii when there were serious issues and they put in a new motherboard, but I also had them format an extra hard drive that I forgot I had. I tried that and it came to life in os 5.1 demo mode. I had tried to load an OS onto the original drive with my v5.1 floppies but it seems the hard drive wouldn't accept it. I guess if I pay for a new os 5.1 authorization I'll be up and running. The board has several faders that stick and are sluggish. Thank you for your help.
seasiderecording

Return to d8b Forum