Change font size   Print view

Another old project

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Another old project

Postby Crash » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:06 pm

I just finished another old project, originally recorded on an old Tascam MS16 with a Carvin MX2488 console. The original mixes of these were buried in verb and delay to the point of distraction but luckily the original multi's were in pretty good shape, so we had 'em baked and transferred to digital for some new mixes. I polished these a little bit here and there but left some of the hickeys and dings in it. This was originally done in '90 or so.... hard to believe that it has been almost 25 years ago. Climb into your way back machine and enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/miximusmaximus/sets/panic-local-1
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Another old project

Postby garrett21allen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:56 am

Hi crash

that songs sounds real good to be done 25 years ago
on a Tascam ms16. did you take some of the reverb off the vocal
because you did say it was swimming in reverb land or I was thinking
that's what you said. anyway its good music

joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 am

Excellent. Did you have dbx on the MS16? I had one for years. Great mix!

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Crash » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Yep Joe, it was pretty heavy handed in terms of F/X. Not uncommon for the period though. The song Where the Action Is I kept fairly wet but the verb is not nearly as loud as it was in the original.

Peter, it did have dbx installed with it. It was really a nice machine for the money I thought. The weak link in that studio was the console. I never did care for the MX2488. Evey mix that came out of that thing had a certain unflattering "zing" to it in my opinion. The studio that did the transfer had a really nice, really old D&R console that everything went through. I have never used a D&R that I didn't think sounded stellar. Also a killer board for the money. Anyway, glad you dig it.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

This may be a little off topic...but because of the media mentioned, I thought this might be of some interest to anyone who may possess old tapes that were either Dolby or DBX encoded but no longer have access to playback machines with the correct decoders and wish to transfer to DAW.

U-He, a fairly well-known plug-in developer, recently introduced a tape "construction" plug-in called: "Satin" that includes Dolby A, B and DBX encoding and decoding routines. Could be useful under certain circumstances.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm

jerrysherry wrote:wow, really great. i like the songs.
good job!

Thanks Jerry... and welcome to the show.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:45 am

Crash wrote:I just finished another old project, originally recorded on an old Tascam MS16 with a Carvin MX2488 console. The original mixes of these were buried in verb and delay to the point of distraction but luckily the original multi's were in pretty good shape, so we had 'em baked and transferred to digital for some new mixes. I polished these a little bit here and there but left some of the hickeys and dings in it. This was originally done in '90 or so.... hard to believe that it has been almost 25 years ago. Climb into your way back machine and enjoy.

Nicely done, Crash - respect, Brutha... reminds me of my Hair Band daze in the 80's... :mrgreen:
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm

doktor1360 wrote:
Crash wrote:I just finished another old project, originally recorded on an old Tascam MS16 with a Carvin MX2488 console. The original mixes of these were buried in verb and delay to the point of distraction but luckily the original multi's were in pretty good shape, so we had 'em baked and transferred to digital for some new mixes. I polished these a little bit here and there but left some of the hickeys and dings in it. This was originally done in '90 or so.... hard to believe that it has been almost 25 years ago. Climb into your way back machine and enjoy.

Nicely done, Crash - respect, Brutha... reminds me of my Hair Band daze in the 80's... :mrgreen:

Makes you want to bust out your parachute pants. Thanks dok.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum