Change font size   Print view

Mackie D8B stereo effects no o/p

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mackie D8B stereo effects no o/p

Postby funk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I have not used the Mackie D8B stereo effects for years,if ever.
i come to use it and i can see there is input in to it via the two green bars.
but there is no output to the fx desk or indicated by again the green bars on the right of the stereo effects.
looking at the unlock codes. both the Ufx cards are unlocked but, ...
MDw mono eq............ locked
mdw stereo................locked
drawmer dyn stereo ...locked
vocal studio................ locked
drawmer dynamics..... locked

Are all these on the MFX card ??
as well as the mackie stereo effects ?

do i need an unlock code to open the MFX card ?

cheers for any help i did have a read about,
but the code page does not have the stereo effects or MFX card codes there,,,, does it ??
i did try to reseat the card.

EDIT>>.
just thought i did change the mother board cmos battery about 2 years ago.
Last edited by funk on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Re: Mackie D8B stereo effects no o/p

Postby Crash » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:19 pm

All those you listed are for the UFX card other than vocal studio which is for the MFX card. You don't unlock the card, you unlock the plug-in. I am not in front of my rig at the moment so I can't remember if the codes are something you can see once you unlock a plug-in.

Which OS are you running, V3 or 5.1? There is a service pack that needs to be installed for the all of the F/X to work. If you have a manual about, it is worth cracking open and checking out the bits about installing plugins.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 pm

hi Crash, always to the help, your a star my man.
im using version 5.1, been through the manual for the last 2 days,
im more confused now than i was.
if im running 5.1 do i still need to down load service pack 3 for the downloads ??
and if i do will this have any effect on the 5.1 opp system ( will my desk still work if it fails to load ?)

i remember writing to mackie in about 08 to get the plug in codes as i had an esn number but i do not have box codes,
the sent me codes for all the acuma labs stuff and antares autotune, and a V5.1 lic number mackie mono delay and tc fx2.
thats it, i dont think i have ever used them or the MFX as i always use external effects, so this is all new to me.

Just moved the MFX card to bay 4, still the same, i can load mfx up, the screen for the stereo effects comes up
i can send a guitar track in to it from an aux and its showing up on the input bar meter,
but when i click to the output bar meter there is nothing.
even if it was in demo mode there should be an O/P ?
im thinking now i should redo the plug in service pack ?
but the others work.
sod it,,,, i know....... im off to the pub.
ba.gif
ba.gif (Array KiB) Viewed 4054 times
funk

Postby Crash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

If you have the codes from Mackie, you don't need the box codes.

Pulled this from on line, maybe you have already seen it but just in case:

If I format my D8B hard drive and reinstall the D8B software or upgrade to v5.0 - do I have to re-authorize my effects?
Yes. If you are upgrading to v5.0 - you will need new effects authorization codes. In addition, you will need to install Effects Plug-ins Service Pack 3 (SP3) for v5.0. With your effects box IDs and your D8B ESN (electronic serial number - found in the licensing window on your D8B), go to the D8B Effects Registration page on-line.

Note: If you have lost your box IDs, contact Mackie Tech Support and have your ESN ready.

The unknown these days is if Mackie has the ability to generate any codes of any kind. They had a failure of the computer that does this task and they don't seem all that keen on putting forward the effort to fix it. Not surprising considering this a way old unsupported product at this point in time. If you still have your old codes written down somewhere, you can probably get it all going again. Also found this:

3) How do I register / unlock the plugins on my Digital 8 Bus (d8b) mixer?

All of the d8b plugins are available to download from our website. Click here to obtain the plugin software. There are also instructions available to assist you in making the disk images. It is essential that you do it properly so it is a good, idea to reference the instructions. The instructions differ depending upon the computer you're using to download (Mac or Windows). Once the software is installed on your d8b, you can test drive ALL of the plugins (assuming you have the appropriate effects cards installed in your d8b).

There are 2 different effects cards available for the d8b:
MFX ? runs the MFX 3.0 and IVL Vocal Studio plugins.
UFX ? runs all of the other plugins.

The MFX 3.0 plugin automatically unlocks IF you have an MFX Card installed in your d8b.
The IVL Vocal Studio plugin automatically unlocks IF you have more than one MFX card installed in your d8b.
The TC FX II and Mackie Mono Delay plugins are included for FREE with the purchase of a UFX card, but they must be registered for use on your system. You can register them ***here***.
All of the other plugins require that you purchase a license either online, or through a Mackie Dealer.

When you decide you?d like to purchase one or more of the plugins, check the Mackie Mart online, or your Mackie Dealer. When you purchase a plugin, you?ll receive a Box ID Code (aka License Number) in the packaging. You will also need the ESN (electronic serial number) of your d8b when you register the plugin license on our website. With these two numbers you will be issued an authorization (or unlock) code.

Go to the d8b Setup menu and find your ESN under the Licensing tab (example 0000-1234-ABCD). Watch out for B?s and 8?s ? people often confuse them.
Go to the Plugin Registration Page on our website.
Read the first page ? if you?re authorizing TC or Mono Delay, it shows you which Box ID Codes to use. When you?ve finished, click Register Now.
On the next page, complete the form and click Next.
In the top 2 fields, enter your Box ID Code.
In the next 2 fields, enter your D8B?s ESN.
Make sure you?ve entered them correctly and hit Next.
If everything was entered correctly, the system will issue you an Unlock Code.
Back on the D8B, in the Setup / Licensing menu, find the plugin you?re authorizing in the list. Click on it to highlight it, and then click the Authorize button.
Enter the Unlock Code ? don?t forget to use caps & dashes.
Click Enter. A message will appear indicating that you must reboot in order to complete the authorization process. If you?re authorizing multiple plugins, you do not have to reboot after each code is entered. Continue on and enter all of the codes. Then reboot and check the Setup / Licensing menu to see if the plugins are now unlocked (look at the little Lock icon next to each plugin in the list ? you?ll see which ones are unlocked & which are still locked).

4) I installed Plugin Service Pack 3 on my Digital 8 Bus (d8b) mixer. Why are some of my previously unlocked plugins now locked?

The Plugin Service Pack 3 download includes ALL of the plugins available for the d8b. Some of the existing plugins have been updated in Service Pack 3, and will therefore require a NEW unlock code for full functionality. After you install Service Pack 3, check the Setup / Licensing menu. If you look closely at the Lock icon beside each of the plugins in the list, you can see if they?re locked or unlocked. If you had previously unlocked certain plugins, and now they?re locked, simply register those plugins again through our Online Plugin Registration Page. Our system will provide you with the updated codes so you can authorize the updated versions of you plugins on your d8b. You WILL need your d8b?s Electronic Serial Number (ESN) AND the Box ID Code (aka License Number) of your plugins in order to register them again. If you have trouble locating your Box ID Codes, contact Mackie Technical Support.

I am not sure what is going on with your MFX card. I don't quite follow what you mean by green bars either. There is the input and output meters, I will assume that is what you speak of. Things to check are how the MFX card is assigned in the plug in window (Source/Destination) and making sure you are seeing signal on the F/X return layer of the console.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Crash thanks for that.
yes read all that.
i thought i read that if i redo SP3 i will need new codes,
and was worried that if i do SP3 again i would loose what effects i have alltogether, and so have to get get new codes, so the short ans to that is i wont.... great
" I don't quite follow what you mean by green bars......... sorry yes the input/output meters on the plugin.
" how is the MFX card is assigned in the plug in window.......normal Aux 1,2 to Fx
"making sure you are seeing signal on the F/X return layer of the console..... nothing, as said i have input but no O/P so non to the FX layer.

i have sent an email to tec,asking for the codes to my locked ones..
MDw mono eq............ locked
mdw stereo................locked
drawmer dyn stereo ...locked
vocal studio................ locked (i know i need two MFXto run)
drawmer dynamics..... locked
be intresting to see what comes back.

in fact i think i will just reinstall SP3 see what happens

Al let you know what happens,,,,,,,, here goes ...GULP.....

Thanks again crash.... nice bottle of beer on its way to you,,,, bugger.... not got your address,,,,,, oh well the thought was there, ,,,,,, right wheres that opener. ;-)
funk

Postby funk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 am

Ok reinstalled SP3.
what was before unlocked is still unlocked.
what was before locked is still locked.
and still no output from the mackie stereo effects (mfx)
tried using a diff aux but still the same no O/P
but in the plugins main window where other pluging say "stereo or mono" the mfx card still has a blanc there, and nothing happens when you click on it.
am thinking its the card now,
does anybody live in cheshire ??
funk

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:00 am

Just to be certain, I'd pull the FX cards you have and re-install. I seem to remember that if you have an MFX card or cards, they need to be in slots 1 & 2 with whatever you have left (UFX?) populating the other slots. Dunno, mate. Hope you get it sorted.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby funk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi pete thanks for the help
i have moved the mfx card to 4 and now back to 1,
still nothin,
iv tryed to be nice to it, cleaned the contacts on it, took it out for lunch, beer, cheap hotel,
but the dam thing just wont have it,
am now thinking of using it as a floor adhesive applicator to put my new floor down in the kitchin,
save me buying one.
then al wash it and try again, this might make it work as it wont want to keep its new job ! :lol:
funk

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:19 pm

The reverbs on the MFX card are OK, they don't suck but I wouldn't get my panties in a knot if you have outboard stuff. I tend to use a stereo delay on the MFX on occasion but in reality I use the UFX stuff, mostly AT, Drawmer, Massenburg, Sat Fat and Final Mix. All my verbs and other whiz bang F/X tend to happen with my rack gear. I run one MFX card but have really been leaning toward going with just UFX cards lately.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Im on it mainly cos it does not work, i just like things working incase.
im the same iv been using a TC Fireworx which i have had for years and an old TC M-one which still sounds good.
its just nice if it was working for simple effects save all the messing around, on saying that i have not needed it before now !
just more toys for the man cave.
Just then a quick question the manual does not cover.....
If a plug in is unregistered
would the plugin still pop up when opend ?
if it does would it show the symptoms im having I.E inpus showing but no output ?
funk

Next

Return to d8b Forum