Change font size   Print view

d8b sync to Adat and to Cubase

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b sync to Adat and to Cubase

Postby geddydawg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Hello all, Im new here.
Ive got a d8b, and love its capabilities, learning so much new each day.
Currently the d8b is sync'd to 3 adats via JL Cooper dataSYNC, using the midi ports on the back of the d8b power supply box, giving me 24 tracks. I also run Cubase on a PC for mobile projects.
Coming up soon, ive got a project coming that will require additional tracks. Is there anyway to sync the Cubase program along with the Adats being sync'd as well?
Ive looked thru the discussion board and have seen thats its possible to sync Cubase, but using the same midi ports that are already being used to sync the adats to the d8b.
Might anyone know of a way to sync the d8b to the adats, and also have the syncing continue, to have it all sync with Cubase as well, for additional recording tracks availability.
Where the midi ports are already being used for adat sync, I am thinking that this concept may not be possible.
Any ideas?
geddydawg

Re: d8b sync to Adat and to Cubase

Postby Crash » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 pm

I used one of these to sync Reaper on an IMac with my HDR/d8b combo sometime back. Seems like it would work in your situation as well.

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb/midi.html
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you for your input Crash,
When hooking your d8b yo your HDR, were you using the midi ports on the back of the d8b p[ower supply for syncing the 2?
geddydawg

Postby Crash » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:57 pm

I have not run that setup in some time but as I recall, I ran the Midi in and out from the CPU to the MOTU and then connected the Imac to the MOTU for it to pick up Midi communication. All transport from the d8b drove both the HDR and Reaper. Wish I could recall more but it did work for me when I had to do it. I am sure more guys on here have run into this and have better memories than I how it all goes together.

And by the way, welcome to the forum.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Thank you Very Much!!!
Im going to try a wiring thought tonight. Please, if anyone else has ideas, please post away!
geddydawg

Postby geddydawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Crazy input to a previous question. Im currently syncing the Mackie D8B to the 3 Alesis adats, without issue, using a JL Cooper DataSync2. All works correctly. I was thinking of trying to add a few additional tracks.. BUT... im having an issue syncing the time code with an additional program.... so I came up with an off the wall idea....

As I do things via the web as well.. people send me in .wav files, all with the same starting point, 15 or so tracks, or a song that they had exported from their software.. I re-imported the sent .wav files into the Adats with the the Adat Edit software.. all works fine.. all tracks sent to a specific time code.. I add my tracks, and the forward those over via the web again..... so my question is this....

Is there a way, by extending the 9 pin cables.. and including the PC with the Adat Edit in the whole configuration sync... is there a chance that I can use the 8 (or more) channels in the Adat Edit software, to play along with the Mackie D8b and the Alesis Adats and the JLCooper... to include the Adat Edit.. for a full sync... to add a 2 channel mix from the Adat edit pc, that I can plug into a pair of 1/4 channels in the Mackie D8b..
Anyone have any thoughts on this config??? Possibility?
geddydawg

Return to d8b Forum