Change font size   Print view

Big power connector

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Big power connector

Postby Carlo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Dear All,

I'm experiencing problems with the d8b. When i switch on the d8b, the faders will not work and sometimes the pots twirl on their own. When i select all faders from the OS and i reset them to unity or off the faders start moving slowly and they dont obey orders. I opened the mixer did the ribbon cable method and opened the CPU and did some cleaning. Nothing solved it...

I tried to twirl the Big connector cable a bit at the connector's side and when i plugged in, the mixer came alive again.... i'm suspecting that there is a dry joint... is it possible if there is any dry joint in the BIG power Connector the mixer might exhibit such weirdness on the faders and posts only? Are those pins in the big connector specific to distribute power to certain areas on the mixer?

Please help........

Regards

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Big power connector

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Yes, the pins are specific. Some carry +5volts, others carry other voltages.... Sometimes just reseating the Bigg Ass connector is all it takes to sort some of these oddities out. If you look on the database, there maybe a diagram of the pins and their respective voltages.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi Crash,

So i beleive thats the problem. Thanks for your help

Regards

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:32 pm

its doing it again....faders not responding. CAn some indicate where on the database are the pinouts and wiring schematics of the Big connector?

Is it possible that the power supply failed or the Distribution board in the mixer?
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 pm

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post10-1

Make sure you turn the ring on the big plug an extra turn so that it clicks into place.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Carlo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:45 am

Hi Peter,

I did what you recommend many times. I don't know what is the problem. I have ordered a Power distribution board from ebay. I hope its the problem.

IS it possible that a rail cap is blown??
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Carlo wrote:Hi Peter,

I did what you recommend many times. I don't know what is the problem. I have ordered a Power distribution board from ebay. I hope its the problem.

IS it possible that a rail cap is blown??

I don't think it is a rail cap issue since it seems to come and go. I would think your issue may be in the CPU and not an issue with the distribution board.

POWER SUPPLIES WITHIN THE CPU/PSU RACK

1. Aztec Supply: This is the first of two 5V power supplies in the CPU/PSU rack, this one being a switching power supply which provides the D8B with 5VDC, one of many supply voltages required by the board to drive its circuitry. If this supply blows, the console will appear dead although the CPU will boot up. After fully booted up, the monitor will display an error message ("reset").

2. Sparkle Supply: This is the 5V power supply for the CPU. If the Sparkle 5V power supply in the CPU rack dies, a replacement is available in the form of a Sparkle Power Supply model SPI-250G.

3. Linear Power Supply: A small circuit board dominated by several large capacitors which provides a variety of DC voltages to the D8B console, including +48V (for phantom power), + 12 VDC, and +/- 16 VDC.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Crash,

I found the problem. In the vicinity of the Black connector there is a faulty wires with corrosion. In fact when i move the power cable the faders start obeying orders and if i leave the cable to rest the problem starts again. I have cut approx 2 feet of the power cable and labeled all wires according to the numbers of the connector pins. Can you tell me what is the name of those pins? It seems that they can be pulled out from the connector with a pliers. The pins are the crimp type. Can you please let me know from where i can find these pins and maybe you know the make Mackie used?

Regards

Carlo
Last edited by Carlo on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Unfortunately Mackie didn't make that cable. It was made by a company called Storm.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 pm

My mackie is out of order due to this F... cable.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum