Change font size   Print view

BIOS Chip Upgrade

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

BIOS Chip Upgrade

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 am

I'm thinking of upgrading my HDR BIOS chip, the seller says that a new PCI video card is needed, is this correct.

Thanks for any replies.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: BIOS Chip Upgrade

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:59 pm

I upgraded my HDR sometime back to accept the bigger drives and I don't remember doing that. I just did the chip and was on my merry way.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks Crash, it might be a mixup with a SDR?

Mackie's chip swap info also doesn't mention it.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Phil;

I believe that it is some or most MDR's that need the newer Video Card when the Bios Chip is up-graded. Not all and it depends on which is installed.

The SDR, as I recall, has no Video output?

I believe the details are in Mike River's book "The Last Hard Disk Recorder Manual". If you don't have a copy you should get one. Full of all kinds of very useful info (Plug).

Update edit: I checked Mike's book and you should check the CMOS settings after installing the new Chip. It will, according to the book, need to be changed. These changes will be in the documentation that comes with the chip (I assume), if not I will send you the list through a PM.

End of Update Edit:

It is also a good idea to clean the machine out (Dust etc), and change the CMOS Battery (CR2030, or DL2031), since you have the thing out of it's Home location and the lid open.

I have not done the upgrade as of yet.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks Bruce, I have been meaning to get Mike's book for at least fourteen years!

I've just checked again on eBay, I got confused as there's two differed chips, the one is for the BIOS upgrade and the other, where a video card is needed is for converting a MDR into a HDR.

The new BIOS settings are coming with the card and I have already changed the battery and cleaned the dust out.

Just out of curiosity, is there a BIOS upgrade for a D8b, I should know after owning mine for about 16 years!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:19 am

Hi Phil;

Good you got it solved.

Did you get the chip from Mackenziejoyous?

You should get Mike's book. It is worth it in so many ways.

As I understand things, there is no need to upgrade to a larger drive for the d8b as the files created for the various projects are very small in comparison to the WAV audio files in the HDR.

I use the FTP server connections to back up my d8b and HDR files.

Later and good luck.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi Bruce,

Yes I bought two BIOS chips from those people, I have three new 80gb HD's so they will be of good use.

How exactly are you backing up from the D8b.

I have to find where to buy Mike's book, I assume it's still in production?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi Phil;

Mike's book is available through Cafe Press, http://www.cafepress.com/ or through Mike's web site (which takes you to cafe press and his book directly), https://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/m ... -recorder/.

There use to be a CD that came with the book containing all kinds of useful tools and files, but Cafe Press doesn't provide that any more. Mike has put those files on his web site.

There is an FTP server connection on both the HDR and d8b. Once connected the hard drives become drives that you can read and find files on. Just like a computer can read floppy drives, or CD drives, or USB drives, etc.

When backing up d8b files I save my "session" to a floppy (yes I still use floppies) then put it in my PC and copy them to a folder names the project or song. I'm sure I can use the FTP to do this but I haven't experimented with it yet.

The FTP reads the Internal and External Drives of the HDR so I just drag and drop the tracks of a song into the appropriate folder (Project/Song). Mike's book explains the structure of the HDR files.

Hope that helps.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks Bruce.

I also can use floppies with a pc, I didn't think about copying files that way though!

The reason I asked about BIOS upgrade for a d8b is that when the 32GB HD's pack in, it's easier to get hold of Higher GB ones to replace.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Hey Phil;

True enough. The 32GB hard drives are getting harder to find.

I have purchased 2 32GB SSD (Solid Sate Drives, $50.00 each), and some IDE to SATA II adaptors ($1.95 each) for use in my d8b, as a hard drive replacement and for use in my HDR recorder as a fixed hard drive and/or as a removable caddy. I have 1 setup as the removable and so far, no troubles.

I will do some research and see if the BIOS upgrade, for the HDR, will work in the d8b to accomplish the same task! Perhaps other forum members may have the answer to that?

Any way, the SSD is an option regard the d8b.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders