Change font size   Print view

Lock up/reboot

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Lock up/reboot

Postby Crash » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:26 am

Well my trusty HDR has finally let me down. I have traced down the issue to it being tied to the I/O cards (DIO.8). It will run fine with any two cards in any two slots it seems but when a third card is introduced, it gets all wonky. It will lock up and then shortly thereafter, it will reboot itself. I am leaning toward a bad power supply at this point but I am open to other suggestions if anyone else has seen this behavior.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Lock up/reboot

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Hey Crash;

Sorry for your trouble.

I'm sure you know all this but I'll list it anyway just so it can "checked" off the "I did that" list.

- Moved cards around. Problem still exists.
- Installed different card. Problem still exists.
- Opened HDR up cleaned and reseated ribbon cables (replaced if questionable). Problem still exists.
- Clean entire machine while open.. Problem still exists.
- Reinstalled software. Problem still exists..
- Had 2 fingers of a single malt. Problem still exists, but who cares have another 2 fingers. 8-)
- Removed Ram, clean and re-installed. Problem still exists.
- Checked LCD during boot-up to ensure card are recognised. Problem still exists.
Last thing I can think of
- PM/Email Mike Rivers.

As I said I'm sure you are all over this.

Good luck. Keeps us informed.

Bruce

Hopefully your HDR problem gets solved.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Yep, did all of that, except I was drinking Crown Royal while cursing under my breath.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:36 am

Thought it didn't hurt to list a few things.

Glad you you used your head and finger for this.

Sorry I couldn't help. If I think of anything else I'll post.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:19 am

Well, I am making progress on what it isn't... It isn't the power supply. I brought home the old trusty multi-meter and measured all the IDE connectors in question and they are all 5volts and 11.86volts which I figure is close enough for rock and roll with this machine. I also tried removing RAM and using another stick I have, same deal, so it is not that. I can disconnect power from the back plane and it will run or I can disconnect the 040-383-00 cable between the back plane and the brain board and it will run. So it is either the back plane board or the brain board in my best estimation. I am gonna go with back plane...just 'cause. I can't think of a way to narrow it down further at this point. Rivers never seems to hang around here much anymore either. I was hoping he might think of something I/we are missing.

Luckily, I have another HDR coming my way tomorrow from a buddy of mine that has migrated to logic...that trader turncoat. It will keep me running for now I suppose but I want to get mine back up and going just because I am a stubborn twit.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 am

Do you have Mikes emails?

Is the motherboard a possibility?

A suggestions..... If it is cool with the lad who's HDR you are borrowing, swap as much out of your HDRs inside to the inside of his HDR. One at a time. Get as close as you can to the MB. Or put his in your, one at a time. Just a thought!

I'll open my machine and walk through what you have done and see if I see anything else that may be logical and get back to you. Might be a couple of days.

Keep the FORCE!

Another 2 fingers! Here's to Stubborn Twits!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 pm

I would think that if the MB was the culprit, it wouldn't care how many I/O cards it sees.... But I could be wrong.

I need to be careful not to jack up the unit coming my way as I have mixes I am in the middle of. I may try swapping the few bits easy to get to such as the 040-383-00 cable and/or the back plane and see what that does for me. Thanks for your help Bruce. If nothing else, it makes for some interesting banter.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 am

Well, this is unexpected....

The (newer) unit my buddy loaned me does not have the little board attached to the back plane board. I believe it is called a post stamp board. I was going to try and swap each board one by one but that won't work. looks like I will go for entire assembly and see how it goes. Swapping the 040-383-00 did nothing so that is ruled out.

I just tried bypassing the post stamp board and the unit recognizes all the cards but it still locks up and reboots. I am curious as to what the point of this little board is. Anyone seen these in your units?

Update: Entire card cage swapped, no change. The search continues.

Update 2: I swapped all the parts back to the machine they belong to and for fun I thought I would swap internal HD's. Now both machines are rocking flawless thus far. Just to further test I swapped I/O cards as I run DIO.8's and the other machine has OPT.8's. Both machines are still kicking'... I am baffled.

Update 3: Swapped HD's back to the original machines, all is good right up until I put my DIO.8 cards back in my machine. So I take all three of the DIO.8 cards out of my console and stick them in the HDR, lock up and reboot. So....at this point it seems that the combination of the hard drive and any three DIO.8 cards will make it fail, which makes no sense what so ever. Oh look, a bottle of Crown....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:49 pm

I have reached out to Mike Rivers through his website so maybe he can shed some light on all of these oddities.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:45 am

Hey Crash;

Great Trouble-shooting" skills. I will have a look at my HDR and see if I have the Postage-stamp card but it will not be til Monday as I'm away until then.

I will check here to see if you connected with Mr. Rivers and if anything is new or improved.

There is also Eric Russ for info.

Glad the Crown is still around!

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders