Change font size   Print view

SDR24 recorders with faulty main boards

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

SDR24 recorders with faulty main boards

Postby paulmorison » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 am

I have become the proud owner of one of these! Apparently, there were a few released from the factory with non-working boards due to main boards component failure.
I wonder if anyone has any info on these please
paulmorison

Re: SDR24 recorders with faulty main boards

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 am

Hey Paul;

Welcome to the d8b forum.

One of the best authorities on the subject of SDR/MDR/SDR is Mike Rivers.

His email is mm1100@yahoo.com

He also produces a manual for these machines that is a wise and useful thing to have. It can be found here. https://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/m ... -recorder/

Hope that helps

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby paulmorison » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for that. I went to his site, but apparently he has no or very little info on this problem
paulmorison

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 am

Hi Paul;

His website doesn't contain a lot of info. You will need to email him and describe what you issue is. I sent you that as a reference for his book and his other works. He has a great deal on knowledge.

The manual he wrote, is a great general resource. There are some answer to many of our challenges but he may have specific knowledge not contained on his site or in his book.

Mike is a very helpful guy.

Good luck. keep us in the loop. There may be others who will pipe in once they see you issue.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby paulmorison » Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi all
Well, I've completely dismantled the machine, checked the BIOS battery (3.2v) checked the continuity of all vales and re-assembled. On boot up, the machine usually shows the correct screen, but none of the buttons respond. All the power rails are correct. Very occassionally, the display shows the error message "innit fault (m) SDR halted. Does anyone know what this means please? Can't find it in any manuals. I have contacted the chap who is the guru on the other 2 models of Mackie recorders, but has no relevant info on this message, or indeed the SDR model

Do I need to re-install bios? Could this be a had fault, and indeed, is any boot up info held on the hd?
I was told some boards from new we're faulty, I guess that could be it
I don't want to retire this machine, as I'm determined to fix it!

Many thanks for reading this, and I will update with anything that happens. I'm sure there are others out there that still want use there machines
paulmorison

Postby paulmorison » Sun May 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Oh yes, got to ask, could the operating system be corrupt, and where is it stored pleased? How do I re-format the had? Same as the dry and HDR?
I'm now re-reading the manuals to try and grasp fully how it works and how to do these things...I'm an old rust and plstic(audio tape) person unfortunately!
I'll shut up now
paulmorison

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon May 02, 2016 2:42 am

Hey Paul;

I to am and old audio tape guy!

Operating Software for the SDR can be found on the Mackie site under DISCONTINUED products etc. i just checked and here is the link https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-p ... gory/16191.

I do not have any experience with the SDR but assuming it is the same as the HDR I have, just search in the Forum and the info on how to "Format prior to OS install" may be here. If you can't find anything post back and I'll have a look see.

The Hard Drive stores no BIOS Settings but again they may be somewhere in the Forum Search around and see. I checked Mike River's book and there is no info there regarding SDR's.

It is a rewarding thing to figure these things out so hang in.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby paulmorison » Mon May 02, 2016 10:00 am

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Rust and plastic is so much easier, but yes, it will be very rewarding to get this going
The problem is that this model, as opposed to the Mdr and HDR models, does not use a std pc motherboard
It has a 3rd party made board, indeed rhe whole thing isn't even made by Mackie. That's why there is little support/info for it
I guess the bios is stored somewhere on the mono, but I'm not sure if the os is on the HDR or stored in flash memory on the mono, or even somewhere else
All the solder joints look good
I'll keep persevering though, and keep all in formed
paulmorison

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders