Change font size   Print view

FTP

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: FTP

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:44 pm

FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol."

In "earlier" Internet days, FTP servers existed, where you could browse files on servers somewhere on the internet, without a graphical user interface. It looks just like in Windows Explorer or in the Mac Finder.

As an example, Steinberg's (Cubase) software downloads used to be all via ftp in the early days. (I just tried, and turns out "ftp.steinberg.net" with an anonymous login, STILL works when using an FTP client, to get directly to their downloads... at least their old stuff)

You'd log into such a server with a user name and password, browse the file system, and download (or upload) the files you want. If you don't have a user name, try "anonymous" (without quotes) and leave the password field blank. That often works.

The D8B and HDR can act as an FTP server, not unlike that Steinberg server mentioned above.

You'd need FTP client software on another computer (e.g. Filezilla is a free one), and could then "log in" to the D8B or HDR, to view the files and folder structure on the D8B or HDRs harddrive.

You could then select a file (or folder) to transfer from the D8B to your computer for backup or in case of the HDR, for further processing. Or you can upload projects you had backed up, back to your D8B or HDR.

It's kind of slow to transfer files this way, though. So, if you have a different solution, such as if you're using a CF card or SSD drive that you can access without having to open the D8B or HDR case, so you can connect them to a USB adapter, your files will transfer MUCH quicker.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: FTP

Postby funk » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:10 am

i still use the ipswitch program and works a treat with win 7
i also have this in a caddy that also works great, just take the sd card out and connect to the pc . done

hdr bay with sd.JPG
hdr bay with sd.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders