Change font size   Print view

Power Supply - dead PSU - SPI solution!

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Power Supply - dead PSU - SPI solution!

Postby BDFitz » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm

I have not been on this forum for a very long time. Everyone knows Mike Rivers. THANK YOU MIKE.. They should build a statue to him or at least bake him a big cake. lol. He's helped me out of so many jams and we reconnected recently when I finally had to deal with a dead Power Supply (PSU) in my original purchase (circa 1998) HDR24/96. After years of the Start/Die restart until it powers up, it went from 2-3 tries to 10-20 suddenly and I had to address this. I'd just purchased a used HDR24/96 w/analog cards so Mike walked me thru the remote panel removal and PSU swap. The used PSU automatically powered up. One thing I believe may be trustworthy is if upon that temporary power up, the fans run it is NOT the PSU. If the fans don't spin up, it's the motherboard. Mike could not confirm this but this was my symptom.

THE GOOD NEWS: SparklePower.com made the original FSP200-60MD PSU for both my HDR24/96s and THEY STILL HAVE THEM IN STOCK and sell them NEW. They are exact in every way and spec to the original Mackie PSU. I'm not sure if Mackie added the noise quieting feature and label but aside from the fact the Mackie has no barcode and Product # on the side they are identical and likely the exact PSUs Mackie ordered and DID NOT modify. Heavy plastic wrap to protect the wires did not come with my replacement but I'm not too worried as I tucked the wires carefully out of the way of the drive. Naturally the remote/ethernet back panel, the Internal Drive and carriage and all ribbons and power connectors in the way need to be carefully removed to replace the PSU. The 20 pin main connector goes to the motherboard under the wires from the back panel unit so it does take some time but when it arrived I completed the whole install in 30 minutes.

THE BAD NEWS: It's $160 new. The reason I could not find the FSP200-60MD anywhere is that it is not a standard Pentium computer PSU. Mike ventured MILITARY GRADE and sure enough it is MEDICAL GRADE (hence the MD). You won't find it on the SPI site and at best you may find (FSPX00-60MD) but no pricing which was on the paperwork but the label on the unit is FSP200-60MD and this one lasted 20 years so I agree with Mike on how conscientious Mackie was in their quality. You have to order the exact FSP200-60MD as it has the right wire lengths and connectors. There is also one small extra connector not used by Mackie, possibly a power extension for a PC. I did get a Distributor price which was a nice discount and if the PSU ends up being the (only) issue this should be an immediate solution. I researched this on a Friday and placed my order and it was at my door Monday afternoon via UPS. Noe Huang is the Rep at Sparkle Power that helped me and as I say you won't find this, even on their site. Noe can send you the specs, diagrams and confirm it's what you need. My 1st HDR has an extra power connector jumping from the small circuit board and back right in front of the PSU but my 2nd HDR does not have that. It does not matter as the cables connect on both units and work. I don't know which design is older. Noe Huang at SPI can be reached here. Send my regards!

Noe Huang
Email: noehuang@sparklepower.com
Tel: (408) 519-8888 ext. 114 | Fax: (408) 519-9999
SkypeID: sparkle_noehuang
48502 Kato Road, Fremont CA 94538
BDFitz

Re: Power Supply - dead PSU - SPI solution!

Postby BDFitz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:18 pm

As a disclaimer, I have only worked on the HDR24/96 and have not opened an MDR, SDR, etc. The power supply info for the d8b Console is listed on the d8b database under CPU and it is a different model/wiring which is also made by Sparkle Power:

"If the Sparkle 5V power supply in the CPU rack dies, a replacement is available in the form of a Sparkle Power Supply model SPI-250G."

I'm sure Noe Huang at SPI can locate that one in their inventory as well. I can also highly recommend Mike Rivers' book (online at http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com) "Last Mackie HDR Manual" for around $20 US. Download only.
BDFitz

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 am

BDFitz wrote:I can also highly recommend Mike Rivers' book (online at http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com) "Last Mackie HDR Manual" for around $20 US. Download only.

Purchased the wire bound version years ago, I completely agree with you. It's an excellent read and reference resource. Mike's a sharp guy, and certainly a real accomplished author. I definitely back you up on the 'highly recommended' point, it really does augment all the other available documentation for the HDR...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BDFitz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm

doktor1360 wrote:
BDFitz wrote:I can also highly recommend Mike Rivers' book (online at http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com) "Last Mackie HDR Manual" for around $20 US. Download only.

Purchased the wire bound version years ago, I completely agree with you. It's an excellent read and reference resource. Mike's a sharp guy, and certainly a real accomplished author. I definitely back you up on the 'highly recommended' point, it really does augment all the other available documentation for the HDR...

Hey Dok, As mentioned, I haven't been on here for a while but always found this one of the best forums and resources to help me keep my HDRs & d8b running. Mike Rivers is the best. I now have some 40 drives from 20 gb to 250 gb full of recording projects since 2000 or so. I also have MAC computers going back to 2000 that include everything from G4 towers to iMACs blue & white, and many Macbook Pro laptops. I never regretted going to a dedicated system rather than a DAW. I did run this as a paid project studio for 10 years but mostly hobby and vanity projects. All the best.
BDFitz

Postby deancat » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 pm

I recently had to replace the PSU in my HDR/MDR 24/96. The current PSU that is available is Model# FSP300-60TVS. There are a couple differences that will require some minor metal working ability, as the newer unit has a power switch and slightly different alignments on the ac receptacle/screw placement. the new unit is also 300 watt, and has extra connectors that you will not use for this application. I bought 2 of them for under $200, w/shipping. I have 6 of these machines in use so i figured it was not unreasonable to have a spare.
Sparkle Power Inc.
Model FSP300-60ATVS
deancat

Postby funk » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:53 am

e13009 transistor .JPG
e13009 transistor .JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1483 times

i got a hdr with a knackered psu, it was the same thing on 2 others that i have now, that the switching trannys blow on them, these buggers...

so i just took a chance and replaced them and it worked but not for the others, obviously something else is blowing them, so i just took a power supply our of an old pc tower i had and hay presto i got another hdr working again
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders