Change font size   Print view

drive performance.

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

drive performance.

Postby phantomrage » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:48 am

Anyone ever get a IDE to SD adapter working in the HDR?

I was able to get one working in the MDR but the HDR will not pass the drive performance.

What is the data transfer speed it needs?
phantomrage

Re: drive performance.

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:46 pm

phantomrage wrote:Anyone ever get a IDE to SD adapter working in the HDR?

I was able to get one working in the MDR but the HDR will not pass the drive performance.

What is the data transfer speed it needs?

This'll work, I'm using these in my own HDR with no issues regarding the drive performance and recording. I've also recommended them to others to (successfully) do the same - Kingwin is the only one I can personally defacto 'guarantee' without issue - works on either IDE channel (primary/secondary):

https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Adapter-Convert-Devices-Compatible/dp/B002SZDOM6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ROB7XCTW64WF&keywords=Kingwin+ADP-06+SATA+to+IDE&qid=1640216002&sprefix=kingwin+adp-06+sata+to+ide%2Caps%2C479&sr=8-1

As always, yadda yadda yadda...
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:56 pm

I would like to go IDE to SD card, I have been able to get this board to work in the MDR and record to a SD card (as they are cheap and easy to swap from recorder to computer) This board also works in my E-MU E5000, the d8b as the hard-drive, and a whole host gear. Maybe it's the SD card speed itself, but I can't mess with the drive caddy anymore as the ribbon is getting weaker and I only have one.

I guess the best coarse of action is get the large drive bios and go solid state drives.

https://www.amazon.com/ASHATA-Memory-Ad ... ljaz10cnVl
phantomrage

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm

phantomrage wrote:I would like to go IDE to SD card, I have been able to get this board to work in the MDR and record to a SD card (as they are cheap and easy to swap from recorder to computer) This board also works in my E-MU E5000, the d8b as the hard-drive, and a whole host gear. Maybe it's the SD card speed itself, but I can't mess with the drive caddy anymore as the ribbon is getting weaker and I only have one.

I guess the best coarse of action is get the large drive bios and go solid state drives.

https://www.amazon.com/ASHATA-Memory-Ad ... ljaz10cnVl

In theory, that 'should work'... however, my personal opinion on this is that it won't. Why?!? Driver(s)... they were non-existent on the platform (Win95) when the D8B was released... the tech simply didn't exist. It's most likely gonna be PIO-4 related hardware issue associated with ATA66 / ATA100 bus drivers, much the same as the CF card adapters... but I'm speculating somewhat...

But if you do happen to get it to work. I"d be interested tho... *grins*

Hope this was somewhat useful...

You knew it was coming, yadda yadda yadda :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual miileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:41 pm

doktor1360 wrote:
In theory, that 'should work'... however, my personal opinion on this is that it won't. Why?!? Driver(s)... they were non-existent on the platform (Win95) when the D8B was released... the tech simply didn't exist. It's most likely gonna be PIO-4 related hardware issue associated with ATA66 / ATA100 bus drivers, much the same as the CF card adapters... but I'm speculating somewhat...

But if you do happen to get it to work. I"d be interested tho... *grins*

]"

The motherboard sees it as a drive, same with everything else I put it in. The HDR will use it and allow me to back up projects to it, same with the IDE to compact flash boards. The MDR will see it and record to it and it passes the speed test. I don't think drivers are a issue in this rather then speed maybe with the SD card itself. I will see if I can find a real quality SD card not a counterfeit one and try it out.

I have one in my d8b and it works just like a hard drive. They seem to work in anything that will take a IDE drive.

Seems everything has a counterfeit now, and I would not be surprised that these boards are the same. I got one with the cable connector soldered on backwards from amazon, so the quality control is very low.
phantomrage

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders