Change font size   Print view

Importing Wav files using FTP

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Importing Wav files using FTP

Postby Blastin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Can anyone assist me with importing wav files using FTP? I enter the FTP, via system, then select FTP Run, on the screen, FTP server is now running, is displayed, now how do I navigate to the wav files on my computer, and what is the method for importing the files on my computer to the FTP. on the MDR?
Blastin

Re: Importing Wav files using FTP

Postby motophiliac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm

You'll need to make sure that the HDR is on your network. When running its FTP server, it will show you its IP address (which I'm sure you can set).

Once you're running the server, and the recorder is definitely connected to your network, try pinging the address from a desktop or other computer. For example, in Windows, open a command prompt and just type:

ping 192.168.1.102

where the four numbers are replaced by the four numbers your Mackie is showing you.

If you get a response, you're on the network. If not, you have some networky stuff to do before you carry on. Sorry I can't be more help here. Your network is way beyond my knowledge!

You will need to install an FTP client on a computer connected to this network. There are many free ones available, just use Google.

Running the FTP client, you'll be presented with a box or a settings screen or other dialog asking you for the very information your Mackie is displaying. If you're not sure, use port 21.

Click connect (or whatever your software does to connect to a server) and you will likely be presented with a file browser window. This window should now show you the file structure of the HDR. Usually, the client will have some on screen mechanism for allowing you to transfer files from the HDR over the network to the local machine running the client.

If you're using an external disk on the Mackie, you might not be able to browse to it. I haven't yet but that might be me being a noob somewhere.

Be sure that the FTP server is running on the HDR, that your FTP client is running on a machine on the same network as the Mackie, and that the HDR's IP address is accurately entered into your FTP client and you should be fine.
motophiliac

Re: Importing Wav files using FTP

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

motophiliac wrote:You will need to install an FTP client on a computer connected to this network. There are many free ones available, just use Google.

Not necessary...if you're using a modern operating system such as Windows XP (or newer), current Linux distro or a recent MacOS release, simply type the following into a web browsers address bar and hit enter:

{assumes the HRD is at addy 192.168.1.100}
ftp://192.168.1.100

You'll get a treeview displayed in the browser, same as you would for an FTP client. You could also do the EXACT same thing with say Windows (file) Explorer, Kommander or Dolphin file browser in Linux, just enter that addy into the address bar for that app... you might even be able to use Finder on a Mac (can't make that statement with 100% confidence). If not or your uncomfortable with using apps built into your OS, then certainly use an FTP client app - CuteFTP, FileZilla, gFTP, SmartFTP, FreeFTP, BareFTP, FireFTP, FTP Voyager - pick one, I've not even list but the top few off the top of my head... they'll all do the job...

If you continue to have issues networking, just reply back to this thread - I'll help out wherever I can be of assistance... :ugeek:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders