Change font size   Print view

Adapter to connect the hard drive caddie to usb or fw

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Adapter to connect the hard drive caddie to usb or fw

Postby webbstudios » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:43 am

Can anyone tell me how or if I can connect my external drives from the hdr to my mac without needing to take the drives out of the caddies. Is there an adapter that will connect to the connection on the caddie (Is this connection called centronics?)
I want to record my tracks to the hdr and then transfer them to Protools or DP for editing. I'm using a Macbook Pro so this with all have to be done externally. Thank you in advance for your help.
webbstudios

Re: Adapter to connect the hard drive caddie to usb or fw

Postby synthjoe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Buy two identical frames and change the one in the HDR, install the other one in your PC or connect it to a USB/IDE cable. Then you can buy as many caddies as needed. Optionally you might want to find another frame from a wrecked HDR or something along these lines, connect that to your Mac and you can plug your existing caddies into that. Making a cable just for this might be more of a challenge and less reliable than finding a matching frame.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby webbstudios » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Not sure what the frame is but to clarify, I have 5 external caddies which I record directly to. At the end of each session, I normally have to remove the hard drive from the caddie or (frame) maybe? and then connect the bare hard drive to a ide to usb adapter which allow audio transfer to my MacBook Pro. I would like to not have to remove the hard drive from the caddie. If I was using a desktop, I could probably duplicate a drive bay to match the drive bay and connection of the HDR. The connector inside the HDR need to be duplicated as an external adapter that would then allow/convert the other side to usb. I hope this make sense.
webbstudios

Postby synthjoe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:03 pm

webbstudios wrote:If I was using a desktop, I could probably duplicate a drive bay to match the drive bay and connection of the HDR. The connector inside the HDR need to be duplicated as an external adapter that would then allow/convert the other side to usb. I hope this make sense.

This is what I've meant, 'frame' in my wording matches 'drive bay' in your response and does pretty much all the 'connector duplication' you're mentioning. Also for a latop you can use the same, just connect your IDE/USB cable to the 'output' of the bay/frame and you can leave your drives in the caddy. Hope this makes it clearer... :)
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby webbstudios » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 am

Google Kingwin sb230 and switch to images for pictures of exactly what I was inquiring about. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to exist anymore, everyone is out of stock. I knew I was on the right track, just thinking old and out dated I guess. Hell what do you expect from a 51 year old. OK, I guess my next step will be what's called a (Firedock)? A single tray housing would be perfect for my use. I'm still pondering your suggestions as well, just not sure if I want to go inside the hdr and change things although this may me the cheaper way this is why I serious do treasure your advice especially being short on cash. But take a look at the Kingwin sb230 images just to see where my thoughts were. Thank you so much as I continue to decide just what to do.
webbstudios

Postby synthjoe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:37 am

Couldn't find Kingwin sb230 only micro icon pictures and marketing hype type description - nothing factual. Sorry, I don't know what this product does and whether it is appropriate for you... Maybe if you could point me to a link with a detailed technical specificiation and a decent quality pic...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders