Change font size   Print view

Suggestion on using os as well as d8bridge - virtual machine

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: Suggestion on using os as well as d8bridge - virtual mac

Postby falklandsx » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes, very intersting!

I have a D8B sitting around, and I would love to ditch the CPU, build a smaller power supply, and run the OS in a VM. Any additional insight you could provide regarding the work you've completed would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben
falklandsx

Postby Red Carpet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Radeon ATI 7000 is the original video card so you need to emulate that driver i geuss?
Red Carpet

Postby deanoh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Maybe it’s possible to emulate a RADEON 7000 using this http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/index.php , if your native language is Italian and the author’s site is http://www.tommti-systems.de/start.html , if your native language is German.

The ATI/AMD Vendor ID should officially be 1002 or 4098 as 3D-Analyze seems to recognize it (as well as some Macs). The RADEON 7000 Hardware ID (with the RV100 GPU chip) should be 5159, although is some OSX/Linux forums is recognized as 4C59.

Any ideas?
deanoh

Postby elperroromel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 pm

I got tired from waiting d8bridge 2.0... has anyone got any advance on this? I just tried to boot from a backup disk on vmware and it wont boot, I have the d8b, and the cpu, so I will try to connect my laptop between the "console control data" cable using 2 serial to usb adapters , on from the cpu to my laptop, an one from my laptop to the console, and connect the dsp serial port directly from the cpu to the console (eventually i could put another 2 serial to usb between them just for reading the info sent, but for now i wish the sound section work normally) this way I can use a software that sends from cpu to console and viceversa, and this way the d8b can boot and function normally, with audio and all, but with the difference that i could "sniff" the information in the "control" serial port, and maybe detect buttons and faders activations, or maybe detecting a combination of buttons pressed and prevent normal comunication so that the "control" port is connected console<->laptop, instead of console<->cpu , entering "mcu control mode" , but keeping the audio functions working, because the dsp serial port would be always connected... I will try to make that cable, if someone wants to help me or something, please send me a message...

P.S. sorry for my bad english... it's not my native language... :?
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 pm

I have been trying to boot the Mackie OS on a Virtual Machine, still unscucesfully, but I discovered some things that could help to get it to work,

the MBR seems like a win95 Master Boot Record

the PME.SYS is the first program the bootloader calls and is the Mackie loader, this program later calls the MackieOS.exe which is a Windows Executable,

the program loads some "windows compatibility Layer" which I think is a Layer to be able to execute windows programs without all the tipical windows Setup,

At some point, the MackieOS.exe loads or call the System3/Drivers/graphics.bpd which is a Binary Portable Dll, which I think it has the structure like a PE file, It cointains various Dlls (in a hex editor I can see It says "This is a windos NT Dynamic Link Library" ) I think these are drivers, It tries to find the display device and then try to load its driver, then here is where the program fails to continue,

graphics.bpd writes a log file in System3/drivers/config/graphics.log where it shows the pci cards detection and the attemp to detect the video card and load its drivers,

when I first loaded the OS into a virtual Machine, which emulates a video card with unknown vendor/product id (1234:1111) the program detects the video card but can't load the driver because it doesn't recognize which video card is installed

then I tried in various Virtual Machines, like VM Player, Virtual Box, Virtual PC, Bochs,Qemu without success
I searched the graphics.bpd and found a list of video cards and its vendor/product id, then i changed some, with the vendor/product of the VM card, and when I boot the VM the graphics.log showed that it detected the card, but then I tried to load its respective driver, which it wasn't found,

when the driver isnt detected, it tries to load "vga.drv" but always says "unable to load vga.drv" I tried to put various vga.drv files(from my system32 and others i downloaded which were the win95 vga.drv and win2000 vga.drv found in the instalation discs, and always says "unable to load vga.drv" then I think It look at some other path to load that files

I found a linux that fit on a floopy called "Hardware Detection Tool" so I loaded it into a floppy disk and booted it in the Mackie CPU, and it detected the video card as a Cirrus Logic GD 5434-8 with vendor/product id: 1013:00a8

I found that Bochs and QEMU can emulate a cirrus card very similar to the Cirrus in the Mackie CPU (Mackie:1013:00a8 , VM:1013:00b8) and in the graphics.bpd that vendor/product it are included, so maybe it detected a compatible card, but when I boot It says in graphics.log it fails at "attempting to enable write combining" then I searched WTF is this and found is something related to the BIOS, so a program can talk to the Video Card, that option is configurable in some BIOS, but in the VM the BIOS isnt configurable, so I think I need to find a BIOS that than be loaded into the VM and that support write combining, or find a Virtual Machine Program with a BIOS that support write combining...

when I booted DOS in a floppy in the Mackie CPU I searched for the graphics.log and it showed that the driver loaded succesfully, and in the part of "enable write combining" it said "success!" and then displayed the video card data:
Graphics device configuration:

Manufacturer......... Cirrus Logic
Chipset.............. CL-GD5434
Memory............... 1024 Kb
DAC.................. Cirrus Logic Internal 24 bit DAC
Clock................ Cirrus Logic Internal Clock
Memory Clock......... 55 Mhz
Default Memory Clock. 50 Mhz
Maximum Memory Clock. 70 Mhz
Driver Revision...... Build 9
Driver Build......... May 02 2000
Certified Version.... 1.04
Certified Date....... May 3 2000
BIOS header information:

'U.@..,.......................1IBM VGA Compatible' '..0..1 ..CL-GD543x PCI VGA BIOS Version 1.24b ' ' ..Copyright 1992-1995 Cirrus Logic, Inc. All Ri' 'ghts Reserved...Copyright 1987-1990 Quadtel Corp' '. All Rights Reserved...........................' '................................................'

Driver for device 0 loaded successfully!

I think if I find a way to enable write combining I would be a step closer to boot the Mackie OS,

I found another VM Hypervisor called "Xen" I will try to boot the OS using xen and maybe it can work,
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby falklandsx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:10 am

Any luck with Xen?
falklandsx

Postby Kriten74 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 am

Probably a dumb question, but how possible would it be to reverse engineer the OS for the IOT core that was released for the Raspberry Pi? I have just started to get into programming and just recently acquired a d8b, so my understanding is quite limited about these things. It seems that the Mackie OS has a Windows base? I still have quite a bit of research to do on this topic.
Kriten74

Postby munkustrap » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi
the Problem is that you have to find a way to build up the original Mackie CPU Hardware like Graphic Card, MIDI Interface and two Serial RS232 lines. At least you will Need some Kind of additional Hardware to have the two RS232 Interfaces with right PIN Connection for the d8b console.
munkustrap

Postby Kriten74 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 am

I am not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but what pinout does the db25 console data cable use?
Kriten74

Postby munkustrap » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 am

Here it is:

http://d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=50

Posting: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 am

uh, just seen that there is only teh console communication in.
munkustrap

Previous

Return to D8Bridge Forum