Change font size   Print view

v2 Offers "DAW Controller"

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

v2 Offers "DAW Controller"

Postby brucerothwell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 am

I have been looking for a DAW controller software that I can use with a touchscreen.

I noticed this bullet point in the D8bridge v2 announcement:

"D8Bridge usable without a D8B! (As remote control software)"

Can someone explain what that means?

Also, any more idea on release timeframe?

Thanks,
Bruce
brucerothwell

Re: v2 Offers "DAW Controller"

Postby bitSync » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 am

I'm not trying to steer you away from D8Bridge, but if you haven't chosen a DAW software yet, the current release of Cakewalk Sonar X3 fully implements its user interface through touchscreen (multi-touch gestures) in Windows 8.x -

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/touch.aspx

This means you don't need another software to go between your touchscreen and your DAW. There may be other touchscreen DAWs out there now but Cakewalk have been at it since X1, so a few years now.

Marc's D8Bridge v2.0 isn't on the market yet, and only he can tell you what he has in mind, but I believe the d8b surface will be graphically rendered and the graphics will respond to user input (mouse?) to send MIDI messages to the DAW. I don't know if touchscreen is in his plans or not; he'll have to let us know. This D8Bridge GUI will likely be a less robust interface than hands-on the DAW GUI itself via touchscreen, that is, the DAW touchscreen will permit you to interface with any element of the DAW GUI whereas the D8Bridge GUI will likely be confined to the normal controls found on the d8b surface (I'm guessing). The strength of the D8Bridge product, in my mind, is the tactile feedback of having your hands on a fader or a knob without having to devote any of your attention to a screen or visual elements. Perhaps the ideal environment is a combination of both touchscreen (like the Cakewalk X3 DAW GUI) and tactile environment (like D8Bridge).

Maybe Marc can elaborate for us. Hope this helps.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:41 am

BitSync got it right. D8Bridge v2.0 has a GUI now. It'll always be a mirror of the real D8B. It is also fully clickable/mousable. That's why I said "Control your DAW without a D8B", I know it doesn't make no sense but for those who would like some kind of "unified" interface for their DAW, D8Bridge will control 24 faders directly without fader banking. In other words, D8Bridge can be used also as a MCU/HUI emulator, much like LC Xmu on Mac.

It is possible to connect to your DAW without having a connection to your D8B. That's why I said so. That's how I'm developing D8Bridge 2.0 actually, I don't have to have my board right next to me, a real time saver! :)
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby brucerothwell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I am already sunk deeply into Pro Tools, so want to stick with it, at least for now.

Is it possible the d8bridge DAW controller piece could use some testing, or available early?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on an Acer T272HL touchscreen, and could be able to help move development forward, if you are looking for help.

I also do graphics design, so could help with the interface design bits, if you need it.

-
Bruce
brucerothwell

Postby brucerothwell » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Marc,

I wanted to post this update in hopes of getting your attention to realize that I could be of help to you.

I have set up a large touchscreen system, using a a 42" infrared overlay frame from Zaagtech (China). It works very well, and even includes OSX drivers.

I have been working with demos of Smithson Martins' Emulator Pro, and Bome's Midi Translator Pro, to develop a virtual DAW controller, and have had enough success to get to the point of being willing to buy those 2 programs.

However, I also think that your work is more sophisticated, and before I plunk down $$$ for those tools, I am interested in not only how v2 is progressing, but if you would allow me to help finish/test the development on the Mac side. (I can even help on the Windows side, via Parallels).

-
Bruce Rothwell
brucerothwell

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for offering your help, it is appreciated! There's a few others who approached me and asked about various solutions for touch screens and other consoles. Heck, even Yamaha Canada would like me to port D8Bridge to their old O2R mixing boards. For now, I've got to concentrate on finishing D8Bridge 2.0, that's my priority.

I'll let you know as soon as there is a Mac version that's stable. For now, I'm still having issues with the OpenGL (GUI). Works fine on PC, not Mac. It's almost perfect, but it'll need more time.

Thanks for writing!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby firehouze » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:57 am

Hey Marc,
I have a opportunity to buy D8bridge I'm just wondering for pc and with. Me using logic pro x would I be able to use it as a full daw or the kinks have not been ironed out yet?
firehouze

Postby ismains » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:20 pm

hi firehouze!

may i suggest you to go with the probox as a full daw controller...or at least go read some tread about it under the probox forum...i have bought one and i am fully satisfied with it.....Munkustrap offer continuous updates and the product is getting better and better................
ismains

Postby musicman317 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Hello fellow D8B owners. I have had mine in the closet due to a system 43 error (which I now believe after researching) is due to the hard drive failing. I would LOVE to purchase or even figure out how to get the D8B to control Digital Performer 9.5 It would be great to control my DAW and still use the D8B as an interface to my RME card in my Mac. Is there anyone on here that could point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it!!
musicman317

Postby Petersueco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Hello.

Check out the ProBox forum.

ProBox Forum

The person who has done this thing is Rapth Weritz. His username here on the forum is munkustrap. Send him a private message to contact him.

ProBox is now the most complete solution to control DAW systems with the d8b.

The d8Bridge development has been dropped a long time ago.

Peter.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to D8Bridge Forum