Change font size   Print view

Marc - No CPU Fan?

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Marc - No CPU Fan?

Postby bitSync » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Marc,

Bumping this unanswered question up from a previous thread/post. Asking for your confirmation of operating the d8b without a CPU fan. Thanks.

Marc Girard wrote:Yes indeed, you can unplug a few things to make your D8B computer/Power supply more silent:

- The CPU fan

Marc, do you actually run your own d8b with no CPU fan? If so,
  • For how long have you done that?
  • Are you using the stock heatsink or have you replaced it with a different kind of heatsink?
  • Is your CPU clocked at 300 MHz or something slower?
  • Do you run your d8b with the CPU/PSU chassis cover on?

I'm amidst a CPU/PSU silencing campaign and the final source of noise I'm dealing with is the CPU fan. I'd love to have it gone but I'm very concerned about the CPU overheating. Please let us know if running the CPU fanless is something you are doing yourself and what sort of longevity you've seen with your own CPU running without fan cooling. Thanks!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Marc - No CPU Fan?

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello BitSync,

OK, this needs a little bit more explanation... :)

When running D8Bridge v1.1, the onboard computer is not used at all. If you're using your D8B as a controller (with D8Bridge exclusively, like I do). You can disable the onboard computer to make it more silent.

I did so by unplugging the CPU FAN, the MOTHERBOARD CONNECTOR and the HARD DISK. The only thing left running is the power supply itself. Just enough to supply the power to the D8B.

I hope this clears out any questions you had in mind. Cheers,
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: Marc - No CPU Fan?

Postby bitSync » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Marc Girard wrote:Hello BitSync,

OK, this needs a little bit more explanation... :)

When running D8Bridge v1.1, the onboard computer is not used at all. If you're using your D8B as a controller (with D8Bridge exclusively, like I do). You can disable the onboard computer to make it more silent.

I did so by unplugging the CPU FAN, the MOTHERBOARD CONNECTOR and the HARD DISK. The only thing left running is the power supply itself. Just enough to supply the power to the D8B.

I hope this clears out any questions you had in mind. Cheers,

Thank you for the clarification.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to D8Bridge Forum