Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge, the sequel...

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8Bridge, the sequel...

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not being around more, I've been working on other projects to pay the bills. You see, right now music business is at an all time low here in Canada and it is quite hard to stay a float without the big mixing projects anymore. That being said, I'm not complaining, I just shifted focus, scaled down my mixing room and tried to carry on.

D8Bridge was quite an adventure for me! You see, most people once associated D8Bridge with D8B Support. Since Mackie dropped all form of support for the board (and let's be honest, it's not the best build quality). I worked hard to get D8Bridge 2.0 ready for you guys, I'm almost done on the PC side, in fact! The Mac side has some major twists that I can't fix, the mountain is a little bit too high for me to climb. There's also ProBox which arrived last year and made D8Bridge irrelevant. Looks like ProBox's working great and I wish them all the luck, they made an even better product.

Now, since I don't have much time to dedicate to D8Bridge anymore, I'd like to give back to the community who supported me though this adventure. I'd like to make the Source-Code available for you guys, for free. In other words, I'm making D8Bridge an Open-Source project.

D8Bridge is written with a cool little compiler called "PureBasic", it works wonder, it's fast and cheap! So, if there's some of you guys with programming skills, you can take it from here, enhance and do what ever you want with it. It is the very least I can do for you guys. Open-Sourcing D8Bridge will ensure future support for the software, I think it is the best option.

Once again, thanks again for the support, it's been a fun ride. I'll put the source code on my web site for you to download, I have to verify that I'm not infringing on any Mackie copyrights first.

Cheers,
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: D8Bridge, the sequel...

Postby m33 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Are you going to put the code up on github?

If so, reply back with the repo link.
m33

Postby Digitaltoast » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:26 pm

v2 soon???

Is it going to have everything as suggested (outside of Mac compatibility)... console still passing, routing, and mixing audio & ethernet control?

I'm ready to purchase, but is it going to be free?? er, open source.

Now that the virtual MIDI ports are handled by d8bridge, will they still be visible so that they can then be piped across a network? (say to a DAW running on a different computer?)
Digitaltoast

Postby Zorba the Geek » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:54 am

Hi again Marc.

I am one of the original purchasers of the version 1 software you created. Given that you are no longer selling the software and version 2 has been so long in coming, would it be possible to email the latest incarnation for version 1 owners to try? I am using my d8b with Cubase and am on PC.

What are the latest enhancements that version 2 on PC has to offer?

Kind regards,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby mixingmusic » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 am

Marc Girard wrote:Hello everyone,

Sorry for not being around more, I've been working on other projects to pay the bills. You see, right now music business is at an all time low here in Canada and it is quite hard to stay a float without the big mixing projects anymore. That being said, I'm not complaining, I just shifted focus, scaled down my mixing room and tried to carry on.

D8Bridge was quite an adventure for me! You see, most people once associated D8Bridge with D8B Support. Since Mackie dropped all form of support for the board (and let's be honest, it's not the best build quality). I worked hard to get D8Bridge 2.0 ready for you guys, I'm almost done on the PC side, in fact! The Mac side has some major twists that I can't fix, the mountain is a little bit too high for me to climb. There's also ProBox which arrived last year and made D8Bridge irrelevant. Looks like ProBox's working great and I wish them all the luck, they made an even better product.

Now, since I don't have much time to dedicate to D8Bridge anymore, I'd like to give back to the community who supported me though this adventure. I'd like to make the Source-Code available for you guys, for free. In other words, I'm making D8Bridge an Open-Source project.

D8Bridge is written with a cool little compiler called "PureBasic", it works wonder, it's fast and cheap! So, if there's some of you guys with programming skills, you can take it from here, enhance and do what ever you want with it. It is the very least I can do for you guys. Open-Sourcing D8Bridge will ensure future support for the software, I think it is the best option.

Once again, thanks again for the support, it's been a fun ride. I'll put the source code on my web site for you to download, I have to verify that I'm not infringing on any Mackie copyrights first.

Cheers,

Marc,
YOU ARE STILL FULL OF CRAP.....You Never Have Told The Truth......BUT..You did get my MONEY..!
mixingmusic

Postby bitSync » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:20 am

Marc Girard wrote:
...Now, since I don't have much time to dedicate to D8Bridge anymore, I'd like to give back to the community who supported me though this adventure. I'd like to make the Source-Code available for you guys, for free. In other words, I'm making D8Bridge an Open-Source project.

Marc,

What is the status of open sourcing the D8Bridge source code? Thanks.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:54 pm

I don't think that we will hear anything again from Marc here in the Forum.
His last promise that he again could not fullfill.....

It's a pity for all d8bridge users that hoped to get a Change to improve and debug the actual released Version.

If Marc reads that !!!
Marc please PM me, I will put your Freeware code on my Webpage for free download for everyone. Just give me the code.
munkustrap

Postby goonkalonkyn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:07 pm

is there anyone willing to sell a copy of their D8bridge software?
goonkalonkyn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:25 am

goonkalonkyn wrote:is there anyone willing to sell a copy of their D8bridge software?

Any reason we can't give it away? I don't remember anything about a licensing agreement. And after all, the author promised to open source it...

You'd have to make your own DB25 breakout cable but the pinout is around here somewhere.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 pm

goonkalonkyn wrote:is there anyone willing to sell a copy of their D8bridge software?

a couple of People that bought the d8bridge switched to the probox. I can imagine they will sell their d8bridge including the cable to get a Little Money back.
munkustrap

Return to D8Bridge Forum