Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Postby Marc Girard » Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 am

Hello everybody!

It's been a while since I posted news about D8Bridge here! I thought you guys might like to know that D8Bridge is still in active development. Work on D8Bridge version 2.0 has started a few months ago. I'm very happy to announce that Phase 1 of the project is done!

What is "Phase 1" you ask? Well, D8Bridge version 2.0 will work quite differently than version 1.x. In v1.x you need my serial cable (custom pinout) and a USB to Serial adapter to interface with the D8B. This will be no more! In D8Bridge v2.0, the D8B will run it's own little "OS" and is converted into an Ethernet connectable appliance.

What's the beauty of this approach? There is NO hardware modification necessary and you can always revert back to your old MackieOS by simply ejecting the diskette that contains D8Bridge's OS. Simply put: I created a bootable floppy that converts any D8B into a connectable network server. The only cable you'll need is a standard RJ45/Ethernet cable!

With Ethernet connection, the system becomes A LOT more flexible. You can have almost any cable length, you can even run your D8B over WiFi! (With a Router). Another advantage is that my Floppy OS is Linux based, which means that it can support a lot more hardware than originally planned by the Mackie engineers. You have a faulty motherboard and can't find an exact replacement? No problem, D8Bridge won't budge.

Now, there's another big "step up" from all of this. Ethernet (TCP/IP) connection means that it'll be easier for me to develop a cross-platform application. Finally, our Mac friends will be able to enjoy D8Bridge on their favorite OS. Actually, the system works so well that all my test programs were written on OS X Lion! ;)

Feature wise, I'm planning to add HUI (Pro Tools) support for D8Bridge v2.0. Work has started on this matter a while ago but I recently found more technical documentation that will make my life a lot easier implementing the protocol.

That's about it for now, I won't give you all the details as I've got more surprises planned for you guys! :) I've attached to this post a picture of my D8B booted with my Floppy OS... No screens needed, the D8B reports it's IP address right on the VFD and it's ready to get connected! :)

d8bridge2.jpg
D8Bridge v2.0 Server OS
d8bridge2.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 15502 times

Cheers all!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Postby Midirose » Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Marc thanks so much for this. I am running Mac OSX and Pro Tools with the D8b. Looking soooooo forward to you getting this running. Thanks again. My cash is waiting for you at PAYPAL ;)
Midirose

Postby Petersueco » Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 am

Hey Marc. Way to go !!

During our phone conversation a month ago you was really excited about the development you were making and now I can see that you have gone even further. Keep it coming.

Salud.
Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MOSHWITZ » Fri May 25, 2012 2:47 am

Sup? :)

HOLY CRAP, that is awesome :shock:

Marc my man,,,I've said it from the start brother,,,YOU ROCK :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby digisound » Fri May 25, 2012 10:15 am

Can wait till i use my d8b with ProTools.......!!!!!!!
digisound

Postby Badbass780 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

Marc, this is music to my ears. I check the forum daily for news like this. I will definitely be the very FIRST to purchase v2 the day it's released. Thanks for all the hard work, and though its killing me to see it in action and still have to wait, I'm willing as long as it comes to the market soon. Bless you, man! Keep up the good work!
Badbass780

Postby Midirose » Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 pm

I hate to start an argument with you here BadBass780 but you ain't gonna beat me in purchasing the ver. 2 software cause I'm already in my tent and camped out. I'm first in line. :lol:
Midirose

Postby blade971 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 am

Yessssss!!!!!!!! Good news Marc :D
blade971

Postby Badbass780 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 am

Hey Rose, it's all good big Bruh. I'll just butt in front of you in line like the football team used to do in the cafeteria. :P
Badbass780

Postby Steve1971 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:47 am

I'm new to this D8Bridge thing and am just now reading about it. I'm curious if all of the inputs and monitoring section will still work? I understand this is midi implementation but I am hoping that the aforementioned will work within the D8Bridge sofware if so I'll place my order now. Thanks for all your hard work marc I hope it becomes lucrative for you and your partners.

Steve :D
Steve1971

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum