Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Postby Casey_Pittman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 am

Marc Girard wrote:Hello guys,

Just a little teaser! :)
Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 2.20.23 PM.png

PS: Take good note, it's been done on a Mac :)

Ipad App??

That would be crazy!

Too bad I don't own an ipad :lol:

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby SBRollin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Marknexus wrote:Marc

Thanks for your reply. I was planning to fit a Few ac - dc power bricks of the appropriate ratings inside the console to provide power to it - I see that there has been some debate on this forum about this. I will post once it's done to advise the solution I ended up with.

So will the non CPU/ psu v1x version continue to be supported into the future? One of the key benefits that a number of people have commented on is that the current version of D8bridge removes the need for the obsolete, noisy and heavy CPU / PSU, and I think it would be a shame if this Possibility was lost. ( at least for me as I don't have the CPU/psu! :D )

Mark

I think that depends on what V.2 offers in terms of functionality. But would be good if there was another way.

Awesome stuff guys!! :)
SBRollin

Postby thesamnesbitt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Marc/Guys!

I've just today picked up a V3 D8B from a studio clear out, FOR FREE! It's in great condition, and I'm really pleased. Depending on the route I take with configuring it, I may need to get PS/2 mouse and AT keyboard as well as a startup disk.

I'm posting to see what the progress is with D8Bridge V2? I'm going to be using Reason 6, and I'm very interested in using my D8B as a controller, rather than a mixer.

So, Marc, how are you getting on?
thesamnesbitt

Postby Lemontiger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 pm

V2 looks very neat Marc. Nice one. Re: copy protection, I wonder if you could figure out how to read the ESN and issue a disk image that would only work on that board. I guess a standard online-registration-type system for the Mac/Windows component would work just as well though.

Controlling a D8B on an iPad? There's no shortage of DAW remotes you could use for that already...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-remo ... 74930?mt=8
Lemontiger

Postby disfrontman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 pm

So long as the DAW control surface manufacturers continue slacking off, the D8Bridge solution will be the best way to use DAWs in a comfortable and productive manner. I can't wait until you get 2.0 finished and debugged. It will be a brilliant OS-agnostic solution for any DAW running on any platform. I am almost tempted to buy a used D8B and sit on it until you get this done, as the remaining supply will dry completely up once you do.
disfrontman

Upgrade Path to 2.0 from 1.1?

Postby bitSync » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Jeeeeez, I look away for a few weeks and you get the Sonar X1 init all sorted out (the only thing that was holding me back). Awesome! Now you're gonna do an Ethernet / Custom OS in 2.x! Too cool. I can forget about a multipin serial switch to flip between the Mackie OS and the d8bridge serial I/O!

So now I've got a question. I want this d8bridge business in my life right now, but I know I'm gonna want 2.0 once its ready for market. If I buy 1.1 now, what's the cost of upgrade to 2.0 gonna be?

Thank you for this excellent piece of work.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BIGBRUH » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I second that question. Upgrade cost for 2.0?
BIGBRUH

Postby disfrontman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 am

As you look to monetize your hard work, might I offer a suggestion?

You might want to offer a full-blown D8Bridge Turnkey Upgrade package, in which you:

-- Take in used D8B's from clients, run a standard series of diagnostics on each to confirm that they are still operational.

-- Strip out any functional but unnecessary PCI cards (eBay?)

-- Install your "PC-on-a-card" OS system in it.

-- Run a final full diagnostic on the unit using the client's DAW of choice.

-- Ship it back to them.

Lots of clients who are not DIY types would pay a premium for such a service. If the client-provided D8B was toast, the client would be informed after the initial diagnostic but before the upgrade was done, saving him/her the hair-pulling of trying to get the D8Bridge to work on a broken-down machine, and you from any unfair claims that your product didn't live up to expectations.

Whatever you would charge for D8B 2.0 (PC on a PCI + software) you could add $500 to for the additional diagnostics and installation. Would buy your clients piece of mind.

What do you think?
disfrontman

Postby frama78 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:47 am

What would the "own little OS" be for? it would not longer work as a MCU-Converter?

And what would be the benefit for a V1.1-User who works with Cubase/Nuendo?
frama78

Postby Axeman098 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow, I step away for a bit and BAM! what a neat upgrade! :o Looks like my wait will be worth it. Switching to Ethernet is WONDERFUL! You are the man Marc! Hopefully I will be ordering as soon as v2 ships. I would still like to see the Analog Audio I/O opened up eventually in future releases, but I have MOTU 896HD's now, so my need for the mixer I/O isn't a priority.

And this is exceptionally good news to hear now that I have a Mac G5 running Logic 8. Nice to know it will be easy to switch to that platform any time I need to. Pretty awesome stuff, and I am looking forward to it!
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to D8Bridge Forum