Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge and REAPER??? Does it really work???

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8Bridge and REAPER??? Does it really work???

Postby BrianJ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 am

Hey guys, I've asked in other threads but haven't really gotten an answer yet...I need to know how D8Bridge works in Reaper...??? It's listed as compatible on Marc's website, however, Reaper's MCU implementation is HORRIBLE. There is a third-party MCU driver dll for reaper called Klinkes.dll, which is supposed to be awesome on the MCU, but I've yet to hear if anyone has tried it with the D8B.

So, I need to hear from Reaper users how the D8Bridge works. What works, and what doesn't. And are you using reapers native MCU protocol, or are you using Klinkes.dll?

Marc, can you comment as well??? You mentioned doing a reaper video awhile ago...can you post it???

Any help is appreciated...thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: D8Bridge and REAPER??? Does it really work???

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 am

Hello Brian,

I just tried to install the latest Reaper and the Klinkes plugin. Unfortunately Klinkes can run only one instance of itself so, no way it'll run 24 faders across the board. Only 8. Last time I tried Reaper with the basic MCU / EXT plugin, it worked OK.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby BrianJ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 am

Marc Girard wrote:Hello Brian,

I just tried to install the latest Reaper and the Klinkes plugin. Unfortunately Klinkes can run only one instance of itself so, no way it'll run 24 faders across the board. Only 8. Last time I tried Reaper with the basic MCU / EXT plugin, it worked OK.

Thanks for the post Marc...couple things...

1. When you say it worked "OK"...does that mean ALL functions were working properly? Were the level meters also working?

2. What version of the Klinkes.dll were you trying? If it's the latest version it doesn't support multiple units or extenders...can you please try once again with the previous version? You can download it here: http://tinyurl.
com/67qjt6y

Please let me know your results...thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 pm

1. Frankly, I don't remember, when I released D8Bridge a few months ago, I must have tried a thousand DAWs!

2. Your link points out to Klinke version 0.6.x... I found out a new post from Klinke himself that points to version 0.8.x, right here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818 And that's the version I used. It looks like it's the latest version of his plugin. Let me know if there's a newer version of something.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby BrianJ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:18 am

Marc Girard wrote:1. Frankly, I don't remember, when I released D8Bridge a few months ago, I must have tried a thousand DAWs!

2. Your link points out to Klinke version 0.6.x... I found out a new post from Klinke himself that points to version 0.8.x, right here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818 And that's the version I used. It looks like it's the latest version of his plugin. Let me know if there's a newer version of something.

Hello Marc...

Correct, my link does point to 0.6.x., that's the version I want you to try.

In that post Klinke says that... "I think it got some nice features, but in relation to my last version (v0.6.4) it has one big disadvantage: It does not support the Mackie extender or more than one hardware unit :-("

What this means is that the NEW version (0.8.x) does NOT support extenders or more units like the previous version (0.6.x) does. That's why I wanted you to try the older version I linked to.

I would do the testing myself, however, there's no trial version of your software since it needs a cable and what not. $350 is alot to spend without knowing for sure what does/doesn't work. I know there's other reaper users dying for a good solution, and this "could" be it, IF it works good!

Let me know...thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Hello Brian,

My D8B was all unplugged, sorry if it took some time to get back to you.

I downloaded Klinkle v0.6.3 from your link and installed the DLL in my REAPER directory. Did some tests and REAPER is working good with D8Bridge. I made a video of REAPER running 24 channels of audio being controlled by D8Bridge. There's a little glitch (read cosmetic bug) in the meter bridge, I don't know why, it seems that REAPER doesn't reset the meters to zero when stop is pressed. Apart from that, it's working perfectly.

Cheers,
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby BrianJ » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Hello Marc! Thanks for trying it out...where can I see that video?

So the only thing that isn't working just right is that the D8B meters show the state of volume last played when the stop button is pushed? Hmm, weird...I wonder if that could be fixed...?

But as you say it's cosmetic...

Is that video on the internet?

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Right here:

Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby MOSHWITZ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:06 am

Sup? :mrgreen:

Hey Marc,, would you mind taking a look at the Zoom feature while you have Reaper up and running please. :D

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:33 am

Hello Marc,
Thanks for the video! Looks like the faders and meter panel is working!

I did notice the master meter wasn't moving though...why is that?

Also, what about all the other contols for the bridge? Looking at your picture of the button mappings, I see there's quite a few other functions implemented in the bridge...Midi tr. Audio tr. outputs, bussus, user, channel left, channel right, bank left, bank right, fader flip, zoom on/off, cursor/zoom left right up/down, Vselect 1-8, vpot 1-8, view mcu1,2,3, Edit plugin, edit track, edit send, f1-f8, etc.etc....basically everything on the right side of the board beside the transport controls...do these all work within reaper? If not, what doesn't work? Or what does?

Also, I looked over your site, and I still cant find a description for all these buttons...like, what do all the mapped buttons allow you to do in the DAW? Do you have a document or video that shows ALL of the bridges functions in action to show what to expect?

Thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum