Change font size   Print view

d8b Select Button / Sonar X2

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: d8b Select Button / Sonar X2

Postby MOSHWITZ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am

Sup? :-)

I replied in another thread about checking something too,,,but ,,,I've been tracking some stuff ,, and if I get some time to mess with it tonight I'll flip my cables around an check it out for you too. :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 pm

MOSHWITZ wrote:Sup? :-)

I replied in another thread about checking something too,,,but ,,,I've been tracking some stuff ,, and if I get some time to mess with it tonight I'll flip my cables around an check it out for you too. :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

Thanks, Dave. I'm just about certain that the SELECT button was selecting tracks in Sonar Producer 8.5.3, but when I upgraded to X2 Producer, and after a good bit of reconfiguration to get things working again, the SELECT buttons not only did not function in X2 Producer but they now also do not work in Sonar Producer 8.5.3. I'm thinking about uninstalling both 8.5.3 and X2, then doing a clean install of X2 followed by a re-setup of D8Bridge to see if that gets me my SELECT buttons back. Everything else seems to be working OK except a weird piece of a message on the bottom part of the VFD.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

¿What message?
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bitSync » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Petersueco wrote:¿What message?

Hi Peter,

I'll have to make a note of it, but the message is something to the effect of "Please initialize your DAW" or something like that. The message is on the lower line of the VFD only; the upper line bears the track name abbreviations as it should. After some period of operation, the lower VFD line gets partially overwritten by new text values depending on what I'm doing and the only thing that remains of the "Please initialize..." message is those portions of the line that haven't been overwritten by the various bits of new text. The "Please initialize..." message doesn't make a lot of sense since the console and DAW are exchanging all kinds of data - fader positions, rec enable, solo, mute, LED meters, scrub, time code, etc., so the DAW has obviously initialized the D8Bridge MCU status.

I'll report back on the exact message next time I boot it up.

Also, I've seen some reports of MCU implementation bugginess on Sonar X2, some of which have been reported fixed in Sonar X2a. I plan to install the X2a patch this weekend and see what effect that has on the D8Bridge behavior and the funky little message.

Thanks.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:19 pm

bitSync wrote:

Hi Peter,

I'll have to make a note of it, but the message is something to the effect of "Please initialize your DAW" or something like that. The message is on the lower line of the VFD only; the upper line bears the track name abbreviations as it should. After some period of operation, the lower VFD line gets partially overwritten by new text values depending on what I'm doing and the only thing that remains of the "Please initialize..." message is those portions of the line that haven't been overwritten by the various bits of new text. The "Please initialize..." message doesn't make a lot of sense since the console and DAW are exchanging all kinds of data - fader positions, rec enable, solo, mute, LED meters, scrub, time code, etc., so the DAW has obviously initialized the D8Bridge MCU status.

Also, I've seen some reports of MCU implementation bugginess on Sonar X2, some of which have been reported fixed in Sonar X2a. I plan to install the X2a patch this weekend and see what effect that has on the D8Bridge behavior and the funky little message.

Thanks.

I've just installed the Sonar X2a patch. Actually, I first uninstalled Sonar Producer 8.5.3 and X2, then reinstalled X2 and then the X2a patch.

When clicking the SELECT button on the d8b, there is no indication in the Sonar X2a GUI that the track is selected, as there would be had you selected the track with your mouse click. So nothing's changed for me in X2a with respect to this.

As for the VFD message, the second line reads "Please initialize your DAW.", although the DAW has been initialized. When I open a project file in Sonar X2, the correct faders fly to their proper positions, the MUTE buttons and SOLO buttons work, the faders work, etc. But now the REWIND button on the transport controls and the SCRUB wheel don't work and they did before...

I wish I didn't have to spend so much time trying to get my gear to work right.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:36 pm

bitSync wrote:
bitSync wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thanks.

I've just installed the Sonar X2a patch. Actually, I first uninstalled Sonar Producer 8.5.3 and X2, then reinstalled X2 and then the X2a patch.

When clicking the SELECT button on the d8b, there is no indication in the Sonar X2a GUI that the track is selected, as there would be had you selected the track with your mouse click. So nothing's changed for me in X2a with respect to this.

As for the VFD message, the second line reads "Please initialize your DAW.", although the DAW has been initialized. When I open a project file in Sonar X2, the correct faders fly to their proper positions, the MUTE buttons and SOLO buttons work, the faders work, etc. But now the REWIND button on the transport controls and the SCRUB wheel don't work and they did before...

I wish I didn't have to spend so much time trying to get my gear to work right.

FYI, the d8b SHUTTLE/SCRUB and REWIND controls work fine over the MIDI interface to my Mackie HDR 24/96 recorder, so the d8b hardware and MIDI out are OK.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 pm

In addition to the REWIND button and the SHUTTLE/SCRUB wheel not working, the FAST FWD button is also not working now. In the case of the REWIND button and the FAST FWD button, depressing either of those changes the Sonar X2a now time playhead icon to the square stop indicator.

I'm not sure what to do next. I think I may uninstall X2a and reinstall Sonar Producer 8.5.3 since that seemed to be to most functional integration of Sonar and D8Bridge I've had.

Such a time killer...
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 pm

bitSync wrote:In addition to the REWIND button and the SHUTTLE/SCRUB wheel not working, the FAST FWD button is also not working now...

My mistake. I had set the transport resolution to ticks in the MCU setup; I just didn't see the cursor movement. Set it back to measures and the movement is obvious.

I went in and uninstalled Cakewalk everything. Went into the registry and removed all Cakewalk folders. Installed X2. The SELECT button problem persists. Clicking SELECT on a track selects it according to the VFD display but there's no indication in the Sonar X2 GUI that the track has been selected. Likewise if I select a track using the mouse, the corresponding track's SELECT button LED doesn't illuminate.

The "Please initialize your DAW." message persists in the VFD lower line. I'll try again to install the X2a patch.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 am

That message, i believe, is a sign that your MIDI channels settings in the d8bridge configuration panel are wrong or that your MIDI ports have been messed up somehow, and you are using different ports.

Just guessing here, because I'm not familiar with Sonar. Maybe Sonar's new GUI is not working properly. Does the channels get actually selected even if there is not any visual sign of it on Sonars GUI?
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bitSync » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Petersueco wrote:That message, i believe, is a sign that your MIDI channels settings in the d8bridge configuration panel are wrong or that your MIDI ports have been messed up somehow, and you are using different ports.

Just guessing here, because I'm not familiar with Sonar. Maybe Sonar's new GUI is not working properly. Does the channels get actually selected even if there is not any visual sign of it on Sonars GUI?

Hi Peter,

I could experiment with swapping around MIDI channels, but somehow I don't think that's the problem. I think if the MIDI channels were incorrect, nothing would be working (I've been there before). What's working now are the faders, MUTE, SOLO, PAN, REC, JOG/SHUTTLE, PLAY, STOP, FAST FWD, REWIND, LED meters and time code. I'd think lots of that stuff would be messed up if it were a problem with the MIDI channels. I can't really explain the VFD lower line message given how much of the D8Bridge functionality is working properly. I'll try noodling with the MIDI ports later to see i I get some success.

When I click the SELECT button on a channel, the VFD top line momentarily displays the track name from Sonar, so it seems the VFD text part of the d8b/D8Bridge comms are working for SELECT. I don't have any way to sniff the serial line to see what's going back and forth and I have no insight into what I should see.

I'm almost certain that in a previous version of Sonar, version 8.5.3 Producer, that the SELECT buttons on the d8b highlighted the corresponding tracks on the Sonar GUI. I'm inclined to agree with your analysis that maybe Sonar's new MCU implementation might not be fully functional, i.e., for the SELECT button. I haven't been able to get confirmation of this problem from other Sonar X2 users yet.

Thanks very much for your continued interest and support.
Last edited by bitSync on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to D8Bridge Forum