Change font size   Print view

new d8bridge approach

Discussion board for ProBox users

Re: new d8bridge approach

Postby munkustrap » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi All

first, thanks for the big interest on this topic !!!

I try to answer some questions, I hope I don't miss one.

About the ProBox. You connect it via USB to your DAW computer. It is used as MIDI over USB. Drivers for windows 32 and 64 bits are available, For Mac and Linux the OS supports the ProBox, you don't need any drivers for these operating systems.

In your OS you will find then 5 USB Midi connections (5x In, 5x Out). USB0 is not used, USB1-3 is XT1, XT2 and MCU Pro.
USB4 is reserved for non MCU related functions (e.g. additional Displays, Master Meter)

In your DAW you select as controler the Mackie Control and the spezified USB Midi Port. Thats all.
As the ProBox emulates a Mackie Control Pro on the USB site, ALL DAW programs that support Mackie MCU will work with that.

At the Moment HUI is not programed on the ProBox. I will do that if there were more people interested in such solution.

As the whole software runs not on your DAW PC the ProBox will be independend from OS issues or freezes.

There was the question if Cubase 7 and 64 bit will have more than 24 channels. I don't know that but I can say YES, if the
the original MCU with two XTs also supports more than 24 channels. So maybe this question should be asked in a cubase forum.

I think now the time has come to introduce myself a little more, so that you know a little bit about me.
My name is Ralph (firstname I do not want to post at this time) but on the forum you can still call me Munk if you prefer.
I own a Homestudio and this is only "private fun". I don't do this as my job. To earn money I work as a testengineer in a really big semiconductor company (no not ST :-)) . That means I develop hardware and program software to test semiconductor devices in production. We sell millions of devices, so believe me I know what I'm doing.
The big benefit is, that I know both sites very well, hardware and software.
I'm from Austria (not Australia) a small country in Europe.

As I mentioned I want to have a test-user. As I can test the stuff on Cubase 32 and 64 bit with windows 7, I prefer to have a user on Logic and Mac/Linux. Thats my main criteria for the testuser. The second is, that it should be as near as possible to make communication easier. But if the nearest Logic/Mac user is in Amerika I will select this guy/lady.
It would be perfect if the testuser has basic knowledge about software (you may have to do firmware updates on the Probox but that is quite easy)

Regarding my fanless supply. I build in a 5V/20A and a 12V/8A switching power supply and a +/-16V 3A-peak supply ionto the console. No CPU / PSU as I do not have one. I want to use the d8b only as daw and it would be nice to use the Monitoring section.

best regards
Ralph
munkustrap

Postby mixingmusic » Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 am

I have win7 running Cubase 7.5 64 and I can run 32 bit also....

But I DO NOT run not Logic/Mac.....

But I would still be interested in testing for you if needed....

Best Regards
mixingmusic

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 am

Hey Munk -

Another question...for those of us with the Apogee Word Clock and would like to keep it as our master clock....will there be a option to use it in conjunction with the ProBox?

Saves me from having to purchase a Big Bend or another word clock....thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi,

Regarding the apogee clock, i checked the schematics.
There is a communication between the brainboard and
The apogee, so i expect that this will not work with the probox
At the moment as it maybe is controlled via CPU.
I do not have an apogee. How is the setup done of this card
? Via d8b console or with CPU?
Or is there nothing to set up.

What is also unclear to me: do we need the dsp firmware
To be uploaded to the dsp Board For the apogee.
munkustrap

Postby mixingmusic » Mon May 12, 2014 12:51 am

This is a controller with talkback it doesn't need a clock source...
mixingmusic

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:08 am

mixingmusic wrote:This is a controller with talkback it doesn't need a clock source...

Hey Mixing -

Where you been...try to Keep up, lol

..the question was, can we (we=Munk & crew) get the apogee word clock functionality out of the d8b independently so that we can continue to sync our systems to it. Rather than disable all of the audio & dsp related functions of the d8b.

Yes, I know its just a controller...but, I figured I'd ask if it was possible...again, if this could work then the benefit would be i can still use my apogee word clock as a master clock in my system rather than having to purchase a Big Bend or something!

Thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Update of development ProBox:

Hi
now all functions are implemented (and a little more). Only 3 Issues open. I hpe I can fix them in the next days.

what you will see in the video:
MCU functions:
- Solo, Mutes
- Display for 3 MCUs and Page left right to cover 112 characters on 80 character display
- selecting PANs, Plugins and so on on.
- Jog wheel
- Meter Bridge zoom at the end (first not working because mixer windows was open and active in cubase)
- OV Leds (blinking red Leds on channel 1 and 3) reseted by user by pressing the Pan button on the Master channel
- Zoom/ Cursor function
- some Encoder functions shown

other MCU features not shown but already implemented
additional functions:
-write/read button per channel as generic remote via Midiport USB5
-Stereo Out Meterbrigde (in cubase only one possible) needs to be fixed, shows some strange effects

enjoy my new video:
munkustrap

Postby mulle_p » Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Hey

Do you need a second computer to run the software, or can you just plug d8b<->probox<->computer with daw?
mulle_p

Postby munkustrap » Tue May 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi,

You can plug the probox directly into a USB port of your daw.

Best regards
Munk
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Thu May 15, 2014 11:21 pm

I just want to let you know, that the Hardware is finalized
And tomorrow i will order 20 pieces. So one For me, one For
The testuser and 18 For future customers.
This makes it possible to keep the price in the range of 200 euros
Per probox.

Best regards
Munk
munkustrap

PreviousNext

Return to ProBox