Change font size   Print view

new d8bridge approach

Discussion board for ProBox users

Re: new d8bridge approach

Postby gigatraining » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Just got the Probox yesterday, amazing job Ralph! Started up in logic and it was automatiucally setup! thought i was gonna have some configuration

A,mazing job and highly recommended!
gigatraining

Postby munkustrap » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm

ismains wrote:Hi munkustrap!

congradulation on your pro box very nice job you have made...i am wondering if my d8b would work with your pro box since it's only work with v5 demo mode ...i am unable to install v3 it seem to have a video card issue there but v5 demo mode for 7 minutes start up my d8b ..so is there any chance that i could work with it or should i try to fix the video card issue .....thanks for your advice i am a serious custumer who would like to buy your pro box

when your d8b works in demo mode without problems for 7 minutes (is the demo mode limited to 7 minutes?)
then yes, the probox will work.

If you have an hardware issue after 7 minutes that makes the demo mode faulty after this time I don't know if it will work. Depends on the defect then.
munkustrap

Postby ismains » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks munkustrap!
in fact my d8b work fine for 7 minutes after that it ask for the serial number of v5 witch we cannot have anymore
i will try to fix the v3 video card issue unless someone here as a clue on how to solve this minor issue...

is it still possible to buy one pro box and if yes do you ship to Canada
and the total price pro box + shipping in USD since i'll be using paypal for the payment
i am using nuendo 4.3 on windows 7 64
ismains

Postby munkustrap » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:13 pm

ismains wrote:Thanks munkustrap!
in fact my d8b work fine for 7 minutes after that it ask for the serial number of v5 witch we cannot have anymore
i will try to fix the v3 video card issue unless someone here as a clue on how to solve this minor issue...

is it still possible to buy one pro box and if yes do you ship to Canada
and the total price pro box + shipping in USD since i'll be using paypal for the payment
i am using nuendo 4.3 on windows 7 64

Hi, then the probox should work.
Price is 200euros + shipping in the range of 30 euros. PayPal will convert that to USD For your payment.

I ship worldwide.
If you want one please sign up the preorder Form. Link is on the probox forum.
When your probox is ready i contact you. I have to build the hardware by Hand :-)
munkustrap

Postby AvLee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey Munkustrap.

I'm ready to make an order but have a couple of questions.

Firstly my kit is Cubase 5 on a PC, soon to be 7.5 with a D8B on old firmware 3.

if I want to use the D8B to run audio into my PC, for example, Mics and some outboard gear, what will be the procedure of switching between "Probox" mode and regular desk mode? Is it possible mid way through a project, do I have to unplug anything etc?

Please explain in detail so i can get an idea.

Regards
AvLee

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 pm

I can answer this one ralph

....you will need a switch box sorta like a printer switch a/b selector. Just go on ebay and look for a 2 port serial switch. You will need 2 db25 ports in / 1db25 port out.

In fact, here is a link to one. Look up ebay item 321528779335.

Make sure its db25 serial...not parellel.

Good luck
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:53 pm

this is not 100% true

yes you can do that if you use either audio or daw controller/probox. But if you switch between these two usecases you have to
reboot each time to ensure that the special firmware is in the d8b console (probox hack or original mackie).
The firmware transmitted from the probox to the console is not compatible with the mackie CPU/PSU !!!!

best regards
Ralph
munkustrap

Postby AvLee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Ok, so I can but I have to reboot the desk and flick the switcher every time?

Or I have to reboot the desk, flick the switcher AND reboot Cubase too?

Thanks
AvLee

Postby munkustrap » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:28 pm

thats not that easy. let me explain it in more Detail:

you start up from scratch with the d8b as probox and cubase, everything works fine.

the probox is connected to your d8b Controller. In the brain board there is the hacked Firmware of the probox with doubled Baudrate.

now you want to Switch to Audio. If you now switch only the Serial Connection from probox to d8b CPU the brainboard runs with double Baudrate and will not connect to the CPU. you have to power up again !!! Cubase looses the Controller but that doesn't matter.

other way around:
You run your d8b as usual with Audio. Now you switch to the probox. the brainboard of the d8b runs the original mackie firmwaer at 115kbaud. The probox can handle this and will recognize the d8b Controller. It will not upload the Special probox Firmware. this is no proplem as log as you run the Metermode DAW/prob instead of Full DAW. if you use the full daw metermode you will not have any meterbridge.

IN FACT, THIS MAY WORK FOR THE FOLLOWING CONFIGURATIONS, MAYBE SOMEBODY WANTS TO TRY THAT !!!!

- use probox metermode "DAW/prob"
- always boot with the CPU/PSU to get the Firmware from the d8b CPU. Never let the probox send the Firmware

an unknown factor is, that the probox requests a Firmware Transfer with an "R" command. I don't know if the mackie brainboard Firmware accepts this when Firmware is uploaded.
munkustrap

Postby AvLee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:13 am

munkustrap wrote:thats not that easy. let me explain it in more Detail:

you start up from scratch with the d8b as probox and cubase, everything works fine.

the probox is connected to your d8b Controller. In the brain board there is the hacked Firmware of the probox with doubled Baudrate.

now you want to Switch to Audio. If you now switch only the Serial Connection from probox to d8b CPU the brainboard runs with double Baudrate and will not connect to the CPU. you have to power up again !!! Cubase looses the Controller but that doesn't matter.

other way around:
You run your d8b as usual with Audio. Now you switch to the probox. the brainboard of the d8b runs the original mackie firmwaer at 115kbaud. The probox can handle this and will recognize the d8b Controller. It will not upload the Special probox Firmware. this is no proplem as log as you run the Metermode DAW/prob instead of Full DAW. if you use the full daw metermode you will not have any meterbridge.

IN FACT, THIS MAY WORK FOR THE FOLLOWING CONFIGURATIONS, MAYBE SOMEBODY WANTS TO TRY THAT !!!!

- use probox metermode "DAW/prob"
- always boot with the CPU/PSU to get the Firmware from the d8b CPU. Never let the probox send the Firmware

an unknown factor is, that the probox requests a Firmware Transfer with an "R" command. I don't know if the mackie brainboard Firmware accepts this when Firmware is uploaded.

OK, can someone with ProBox please test this please? Boot the D8B in normal mode first use it for audio, then switch serials to Probox and see if it works, then back again

Question for you Munkerstrap, does the Probox firmware, have to run double baud rate? Will there be a possible future firmware/hardware upgrade that could implement quick switching between both modes?

It's not a deal breaker at the moment, but I can see me still having to use a small desk to run audio which isn't ideal but not the end of the world.
AvLee

PreviousNext

Return to ProBox