Change font size   Print view

probox with prototype display kit

Discussion board for ProBox users

probox with prototype display kit

Postby munkustrap » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi all

I just want to Show you what I did the last months in my rare free minutes :-)
I tried to make a Display kit for the probox to cover all 24 channels.
Yes, it is working, but it is not that usefull that I hoped. The channel names are not centered exactly under the channels as I had to use one Display for 3 channels. additonal it is very difficult to install if you are not an electronic guy.
So this solution is not for sale, I will try to develop a new Display kit with 24 Displays for each channel and more easy istallation.

munkustrap

Re: probox with prototype display kit

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:18 pm

munkustrap wrote:Hi all

I just want to Show you what I did the last months in my rare free minutes :-)
I tried to make a Display kit for the probox to cover all 24 channels.
Yes, it is working, but it is not that usefull that I hoped. The channel names are not centered exactly under the channels as I had to use one Display for 3 channels. additonal it is very difficult to install if you are not an electronic guy.
So this solution is not for sale, I will try to develop a new Display kit with 24 Displays for each channel and more easy istallation.

Still a very kewl proof-of-concept, Ralph... nice work! ;)

\m/ :ugeek: ,,,
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Badbass780 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 am

Ralph, this is terrific. Soon enough your gonna be my one-stop d8b shop guy. If you build it, I'll buy it!
Badbass780

Postby NigelC » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:03 am

Posting in case this helps. I also have a Mackie MCU and a while ago needed to replace the LCD. While looking for a cheaper alternative to the expensive OM part I came across the LCD manufacturers details. They were prepared to sell me the part direct however their version does not have the ribbon cable or power cable attached.

The part number is ACM5502A-NEW-BBW-P and the contact is Daisy Yao daisy [at] zettlercn.com and price they quoted me is $20 each plus shipping (which is the expensive bit as its from China but they quoted $45).

With these displays you could use just 3 displays as they are for the 8 channel units.

I did not end up ordering as I could not source a ribbon cable, the power cable is easy to find its just a 2 pin. Maybe you might have better luck but the manufacturer does not add the cables they must be done somewhere else and they don't know where!

This is the official finished part: http://www.mackie.view-media.be/order/i ... 06&lang=en

However as you can see its pricey and stock levels are often low.
Attachments
image003.png
image003.png (Array KiB) Viewed 7044 times
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi NigelC

indeed that would be the best solution but there is a geometrical Problem. You have the active Display area and you have a big Frame around. if you want to place 3 Displays side by side the framesize in x directionis doubles (two displays). This can only be used if the channels were placed in Groups of 8 with space between channel 8/9 and 16/17.

exactly this reason makes it so complicated to find a usefull Display that fits.

thanks and best regards
Ralph
munkustrap

Postby neto117 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:01 am

D8B 5.1, PROBOX, Tascam FW-1804 & US-1800, Scarlett 18i20 Audio Interfaces, Win10 PRO, AMD PhenII X6 3.3 GHz, 16gb Ram, SONAR Platinum, Five 1tb HDs One for OS & Progs Four Mirrored in 2 Vols for Audio & Video files and a 60G SSD.
neto117

Postby munkustrap » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 am

nice Display with right Interface (SPI) but also non fitting dimensions.
module size 54mm (we need 50mm if we use one Display for 2 channels)
Display area 37mm.

thats the one I go for the next proto type development.
24 Display, per each channel one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 55744.html
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:38 am

I have to say that , that my first thought was to use 3,4,5 or 6 TFT color Displays between 5",6",7" diagonale and place it instead of the d8b meterbridge. Displaying channel names, Vpot ring and Meters, Mutes, Solo and that stuff in one view. This would be really nice, but there are no Fitting Display on the market where modul size is nearly acitve size and the module width is Fitting to 4",6" or 8".
munkustrap

Postby NigelC » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:11 pm

I see your point, difference on MCU is each unit has a gap between each set of 8 faders. I think you are always going to have this issue unless you use the kind of displays Behringer used for their X32.

If this were a commercial project I would say get in touch with the LCD maker I linked to.

Ive seen similar small screens on the Avid Icon, but I think they are LED.

In the end how much do you throw at the D8B before the cost outweighs just getting a control surface or other off the shelf setup!

Perhaps another way is to attached displays in front of the top display, maybe 3 iPad minis?
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 am

Hi

the Avid Displays are OLED and I will try it with that. Already ordered and received 24 OLED Displays. If it works it would be REALLY nice. One Display will cover exactly one white cannel area under the fader which is used for labeling.
And the Displays have 1mm height, so no Need to do any mechanics. just a Little glue and they are on the d8b.
munkustrap

Next

Return to ProBox