Change font size   Print view

Pan controls

Discussion board for ProBox users

Pan controls

Postby lyn69 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 pm

Hi All

I know it's a silly question. Just connected up my probox for the first time since I bought it 4 years ago and would like to know how do you use the pan controls on each channel with your DAW. I'm using Logic Pro x, Cheers guys.
lyn69

Re: Pan controls

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:53 pm

You may have run across something interesting, here.

I assume you already have the ProBox configured to act like a Mackie Control Universal (ProBox MIDI Port 4), and two Extenders (ProBox MIDI ports 3 and 2... going from right to left)?

I haven't started Logic in months - using Studio One exclusively, lately. However, when I just did to confirm which button was to push to activate V-Pots for Pan (I think it's the Compressor button), the V-Pots did nothing in Logic.

I also have an actual MCU unit connected simultaneously, where the V-Pots also no longer worked to control pan.

I also have a PreSonus Faderport (2018/single fader), and Pan would not control Logic here as well, even when re-starting the unit in Logic mode.

When I started Studio One instead, Pan worked right out of the box via the V-Pots on the D8B and on the "real" MCU (...and on the Faderport, once I restarted it in Logic mode).

The D8B's ProBox operation can also be switched between HUI, Mackie and Logic modes, but as long as it is in Mackie or Logic mode, it should work. As mentioned, it DID NOT, when I just tried.

I'll have to troubleshoot a bit at a later point. Maybe a Logic update (I still installed them, even though I didn't use Logic) broke something... or maybe I just have to clear my control surface setup and start over, in case any sort of preference file got corrupted with an update, or something... but I think if you have the ProBox correctly configured, you might be impacted by the same problem.

I'm just starting my workday here, so I can't look into this right now. I'll try to troubleshoot in the coming evening(s), but if anybody else on this forum can check ProBox operation with a current/recent version of Logic, it would be interesting if you're experiencing the same issue.

It used to work just fine, when I tried last - but again, this was quite some time ago.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Troubleshooting went faster than I thought.

I just thought I'd try to delete the ACTUAL Mackie Control Universal unit from my Logic setup and set it up again, thinking that that one should definitely work with a fresh setup (since it's the real thing).

I deleted the MCU in Logic's "Control Surfaces" area, then added it again manually, and set the MIDI ports to where the MCU is connected.

Then I tried the Pan controls and they worked again.

I never even touched the D8B (in ProBox mode) during this process, tried the Pan controls on the D8B again, and they now also controlled Logic again just fine... and I can confirm that you normally just press the "Compressor" button to activate Pan mode for the V-Pots when using the D8B with the ProBox.

If the D8B is your only MIDI control surface, I'd recommend to remove it from Logic's Control Surfaces area (all 3 units, MCU and two extenders) and set them up again. I'd expect that it will work again afterwards.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Here's a (bad) pic of the Logic labels I put on my secondary D8B (not currently in use).

If you're mainly using the D8B with the ProBox, I think it makes sense to label the unit in a way like that, to take the guessing out of what button does what.

The full list of assignments is in the ProBox manual. It's a bad pic, but I'm adding a picture with Logic labels on my secondary D8B here (currently not in use/stored). Maybe this makes it a bit easier to figure out what the different buttons do in Logic mode.

LogicLabels.JPG
LogicLabels.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you for getting back to me, your a star. I have configured logic as it did it automatically. I will delete the old Mackie Hui set up in logic so there is no conflict. I will try what you recommend and will label the desk as in the picture. Thank you again Y-my-R.
Last edited by lyn69 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyn69

Postby lyn69 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 pm

All working now thanks to you :). Did what you said and and deleted HUI control service and rebooted all working now.

Regards
lyn69

Return to ProBox