Change font size   Print view

Light Show

Discussion board for ProBox users

Light Show

Postby tuelle » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:42 am

IMG_0982.png
IMG_0982.png (Array MiB) Viewed 1096 times
I turned on my d8b/ProBox setup after it had been off for a long time. After the Mac boots I powered up the d8b and immediately a multitude of LEDs on the console turn on and some start blinking. The locator display is all blinking 8P and all the pot dial have segments lit up. Unplugging everything and replugging doesn't change anything.

Ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Larry
IMG_0982.png
IMG_0982.png (Array MiB) Viewed 1096 times
tuelle

Re: Light Show

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:15 pm

It's very unlikely that the ProBox would cause that behavior.

But first things first - what happens when you disconnect the ProBox from the D8B and power the D8B on?

If you also get the light-show like that, then there's a problem with the D8B itself.

For the reverse case, does the ProBox still show the 4 typical MIDI ports in your DAW (or the computer in general)? If so, this would again point to the ProBox likely working as it should, and there being something wrong with the D8B.

My first guess would be, that the ribbon-cables on the inside of the console need to be disconnected/cleaned and re-connected. Ideally, while cleaning the contacts with good electronics cleaner (e.g. Caig Deoxit), or Isopropyl Alcohol. Even better, if you lift the connector that pierces through the ribbon cables, off of it's spikes a bit, put some cleaner/ISP between, and clamp it back on tight (this last tip is courtesy of Phil C., from this forum).

When using the D8B as an actual mixer, cleaning/re-seating the ribbon cables is something that needs to be done every few years, to keep the unit working. Someone on here even said that he does this annually, just to prevent the unit from having issues at the worst possible time.

You probably don't see as many issues due to ribbon cables when using the D8B with the ProBox as a DAW controller, but if the right (aka wrong) cable starts having an issue, then you'd have problems with the ProBox and a D8B as well... and that can also turn into a light-show.

Good luck with getting this resolved... cleaning/re-seating those cables inside the console can be pretty tedious, but it really IS the solution to MANY of the issues D8B users experience.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to ProBox