Change font size   Print view

External HDR CF Drive can't be selected for new project

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

External HDR CF Drive can't be selected for new project

Postby lnegro » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello all:

I was able to convert HDR, MDR and d8b system drives to Compact flash drives......no issue. I have been trying to convert the HDR external drive to Compact flash using a 32GB card. The card formats OK but can't be selected for a new project. I formatted again and did not verify but still no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards
Larry

d8b - HDR - MDR
lnegro

Re: External HDR CF Drive can't be selected for new project

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi Larry;

Just a though... Did you Verify the CF Drive after Formatting? You didn't say so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lnegro » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I tried to verify the first time it formatted but it just hung, so I formatted again and chose not to verify but in both instances the cf still is not recognized even though it seemed to format OK. I saw somewhere on the forum that some users were "initializing" the card on a pc before using on the HDR. I wondered if that could be the issue.

Larry
lnegro

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:35 am

Hi Larry;

As memory serves me, if you do not verify the HDR thinks you have a drive as a backup.

The Techie stuff is some hard drives (Mechanical) where not fast enough (seek time) to record but fast enough as a Back-up storage device. I have never used them as a BU. I had a HD that came out of a d8b that formatted just fine, but would not verify, so I could not use it as a recording device.

None of that helps you with your current situation and I'm no help as I haven't moved to CF yet. I am using SSD's and that, so far seems to be working.

There is stuff in here re CF so have a look around. I'm sure you will find something on the subject.

Cheers
bruce
Last edited by Bruce Graham on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lnegro » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:15 am

I think you're right about record speed and backup......remember seeing something to that. I bought this 32gig cf because it was cheap. It claims to be fast enough but who knows. I'll try another cf and report back. Thanks again

Larry
lnegro

Postby lnegro » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 pm

I exchanged the Komputerbay 233x for a 1000x CF and it still gives me the "only for backup....blah blah" error so I fear it is the brand that is the problem. I have a Lexar 800x CF that works perfectly. doktor thinks it has something to do with "true IDE" issues which he is investigating. I have tried changing DMA settings in BIOS but all but auto setting just hangs the system on bootup

Larry
lnegro

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders