Change font size   Print view

Plug-ins

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Plug-ins

Postby JamesH » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Anders:

I really can't thank you enough!!! You went way out of your way to help a total stranger!!! You're a good dude!!! I'm pretty sure that I can follow the instructions.

Bruce, how right you are.

One question: the d8b uses IDE cables and my computer uses different ones, is there some sort of conversion that I can use to hookup?

Also, it might take a week or two, hopefully it won't. I am disabled and sometimes that causes delays. Very frustrating at times. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

I will let you know how things are progressing.

Thanks,
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Yeah, you need a computer that isn't too new.
The d8b uses IDE cables as you describe, whereas newer computer use a SATA interface.
Depending on the age of your computer, there might still be an IDE socket on the motherboard.
If not, you'll have to try to use some adapters.

A different approach could be to try to make a different kind of image....
If you have an old cd/dvd-rom with an ide interface, I could make an iso file that could be burned to a cd/dvd.
You could hook the cd drive up to the d8b's motherboard, and then boot from the cd.
I'd have to make an image with software that boots and writes the image to the hard drive.
It might just be doable, but let me know whether you get the original image idea to work first.

Another option could be to completely ditch the physical harddrive, and do as some of us here have done:
Buy a comact flash - ide adapter, and then use a compact flash card instead of the hard drive. It's less noise, a bit faster, and if you have a computer or laptop with a compact flash card reader, it's easier to work with on the imaging part.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Or ide to sd card. Then you don't need compact flash adapters.
phantomrage

Postby JamesH » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Wow, a bit overwhelming. I think that I'll order an ide/sata adapter and try that first. Won't I also need a power adapter as well?

I looked at a lot of adapters and I'm really lost as to which one I need, plus the power adapter. I apologize for my lack of understanding, but could you or someone recommend something?

Thanks!
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Just my humble opinion.

Go to reverb.com buy the d8b kit has everything you need. Tell the seller you want 5.1 os. Follow the instructions on replacing the file with the hacked/fixed file. Place compact flash card in the d8b and done.

Only reason I even say buy that, is it has everything you need, for the d8b and using the compact flash card on your home/studio computer.

I in no way am apart of or endorse this seller. If someone else has a easier option for him...please feel free.
https://reverb.com/item/1620283-mackie-d8b-cf-drive-kit
phantomrage

Postby arjepsen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:01 am

I haven't checked whether it's cheaper to buy the hardware yourself, but that seller does provide a nice package that includes the needed hardware.
I'm not sure he'll provide a hacked 5.1 version on the CF though...?
But the procedure I listed should still work with both a CF or a physical HD connected to the computer using the AOMEI software.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby phantomrage » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:38 am

He will not, but at least it will be installed and only one file will need to be replaced....
phantomrage

Postby JamesH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:56 am

Thanks to both of you so much for the input. That might be the way to go. I will check into the kit. I have no idea what I'll be up against, but I will try.

J
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Sounds good. Let us know if you have trouble with the installation, and we'll try to help.

Have a blessed day.

Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JamesH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Well, I ordered the kit today from the guy on Reverb. I'll keep y'all informed. Thanks to all!
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum