Change font size   Print view

d8bridge alernative

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

d8bridge alernative

Postby munkustrap » Thu May 01, 2014 9:40 am

Hi guys

As I mentioned in a post one month ago, I'm working on a different d8bridge solution.
After one month of development I want to show you how far I am (videos at the bottom)

Basic function:
The Probox is connected via serial connection to the d8b Controller and via USB (3x MIDI for 1x MCU Pro and 2x MCU XT PRO) to the Computer. USB Drivers are available for ALL Platforms (Windows, Mac, ... ) The ProBox is compatible with the Mackie MCU Pro USB Protocol.

So not Windows Users will have the posibillity to use their Mackie d8b as 24 channel controller in a few months !!!

What is working
- all 24 Channels with full function (Mute,Solo,Select, record, Vpot, Faders, Meters
- Transport
- MTC
- VFD Display

Missing to be implemented:
- switching the VFD between the MCUs and the stuff to get the 2x55 character display to the 2x40 character
- fader calibration
- some non related stuff between Probox and console not MCU related

By the way, I want to implement the audio functions (control room and so on) but I need the commands on the serial connection, as I have only the d8b console and no CPU/PSU I cannot sniff that by myself.

ProBox in Action
http://youtu.be/gRlwCIDBTq8

Probox booting up with d8b console
http://youtu.be/XcqG14vq9Do

Probox loading a cubase song
http://youtu.be/QdzY2gLcHnE

Probox Fader Flip
http://youtu.be/nqkYi3Pb-yM
munkustrap

Re: d8bridge alernative

Postby mixingmusic » Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Nice Work! :D
mixingmusic

Postby bitSync » Thu May 01, 2014 8:15 pm

munkustrap wrote:By the way, I want to implement the audio functions (control room and so on) but I need the commands on the serial connection, as I have only the d8b console and no CPU/PSU I cannot sniff that by myself.

Please let me know what you need via serial sniffing. PM me if you like. If I can be of some assistance I will.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby docbradley » Thu May 01, 2014 9:39 pm

This is pretty slick.

As an inveterate tinkerer, this got me wondering: I've found many threads here and elsewhere with smatterings of reverse engineered information about the serial protocol, but is anyone compiling this in a format that's easier to digest? A d8b homebrewer's manual, so to speak?
docbradley

Postby Marc Girard » Fri May 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Hello there,

Could you take this discussion to another forum please? That'd be greatly appreciated as this forum is dedicated to the support of D8Bridge. It's a bit like you were announcing a new Logic DAW on Steinberg's forum, they wouldn't tolerate it much I believe. Thank you for understanding.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby bitSync » Sat May 03, 2014 4:37 am

Marc Girard wrote:Hello there,

Could you take this discussion to another forum please? That'd be greatly appreciated as this forum is dedicated to the support of D8Bridge. It's a bit like you were announcing a new Logic DAW on Steinberg's forum, they wouldn't tolerate it much I believe. Thank you for understanding.

Or, alternatively, this forum could be renamed or repurposed to accommodate any and all discussions related to using the d8b as a control surface. Just an idea. I get your point, Marc, but this is probably the most logical place for d8b control surface discussions of all kinds; I'm not sure where else folks would go at the moment. Admittedly, D8Bridge was the first to show up with an implementation, but there are a lot of good ideas going on in here. Another idea would be for BluAudio to stand up its own independent forum on its own domain for discussion of D8Bridge to the exclusion of all other control surface concepts (like Steinberg or Logic does, for example). Ultimately, it's Peter's call, I suppose. Maybe there could be subforums on here for each d8b controller initiative, but that would be a lot more work for Peter.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sat May 03, 2014 11:50 am

As I see it, this is the D8Bridge Forum. Any other related controller options would be posted in the main d8b forum.

Having said that, and once the other alternatives becomes available for purchase or testing, I will be more than happy to create new sub-forums for them.

As for the moment, Marc Girard have been granted with Moderator permissions.

I have to say, that we are a very small community and I don't put very much effort to have the thing running. But I can't see the need for too many sub-forums. After all they would have very little activity.

See you all around.
Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby munkustrap » Sat May 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi All

Yes, maybe the Bridge Forum is the wrong place for this topic,
But exactly here in this forum there was the wish placed to
Get the bridge for non Windows OS.
The probox is running on All main OS and covers also the
Users that do not use Windows.

I also want to point out that your d8bridge is really a great idea.

In my opinion the best solution would be the replacement
Of the brainboard in the d8b with a new piece of hardware
That controlls All faders, LEDs, buttons directly via USB to
Eliminate the slow serial interface.
The d8b controller is a piece of Hardware that can be repaired very easy. But the mainboard of the CPU is difficult and spare parts are expensive.

Maybe Probox 2.0 will replace the brainboard :-)
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 pm

@ bitsync

For the Audio patch i need the commands on the serial connection between the console and the cpu. I mean the connection which is used by the d8bridge, not the dsp connection. On this interface the whole monitoring section is controlled
CUE 1, CUE2, Speakers Level, Talkback. I can make a list of the vpots and switches that are done by that (I see that in the schematics).
Maybe somebody can help me here. Then it will be possible to add a full Monitor Controller to the d8b ProBox.

best regards
Ralph
munkustrap

Postby bitSync » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

munkustrap wrote:@ bitsync

For the Audio patch i need the commands on the serial connection between the console and the cpu. I mean the connection which is used by the d8bridge, not the dsp connection. On this interface the whole monitoring section is controlled
CUE 1, CUE2, Speakers Level, Talkback. I can make a list of the vpots and switches that are done by that (I see that in the schematics).
Maybe somebody can help me here. Then it will be possible to add a full Monitor Controller to the d8b ProBox.

best regards
Ralph

@munkustrap,

I'm responding to you in the d8b Forum per Marc's and Peter's request to move non-D8Bridge discussions out of the D8Bridge forum -

http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1166&p=9253#p9253
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum